Betta Fish Forum banner

Cleaning schedule?

675 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  alyymarie 
#1 ·
Right now, one of my bettas lives in a 5g tank by himself. Next week, I'll be dividing his tank and moving my other betta in with him. How often should I be cleaning a 5g tank with two betta living in it? Thank you!

#3 ·
2.5g is fine for a betta, I made sure to read up on whether or not dividing 5gs is a good idea or not. I live in a dorm right now so they're being housed in separate tanks (my other one is in a 2.5g), but my room back home doesn't have outlet space for two tanks. I'm taking them both home next week, so that's why I'm going to divide the 5g.

#8 ·
ok number one i did not say he needed 300 galons geez i was just saying they ould be happier in a 5 gallon alone and i live in a dorm too and the power goes out every night at 10 and comes back on at 5. and wth the budget thing you can get great tanks on craigslist for great prices thats where i got mine so stop being so judgemental and rude!!!

#9 · (Edited)
Nothing redthebetta said was rude. S/he was simply pointing out that not everyone can afford to do that, and the question of dividing the tank wasn't my issue to begin with. In my case, I need to divide it due to a space issue. Other people can't afford to buy new setups every time they get a new fish and may choose to divide their tanks for that reason. Bettas are perfectly fine in divided 5gs as long as the divider is safe and they can't get to each other. As I said before, the minimum tank size a betta should be kept in is 2.5g.

#10 ·
You don't have to clean it any more often than you already do. If you need to do more than one water change per week on a filtered and cycled tank than you tank is ridiculously overstocked. 2 bettas in a 5 gallon is anything but. Even once a week may be unnecessary. Do some water tests - see at what rate nitrates are produced.

There's no need to be yelling at anyone bettafishy - this is like the 3rd post I've read of yours tonight with a trail of exclamation marks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.