Betta Fish Forum banner

where to get a cambodian or light colored delta or halfmoon?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  d-gage 
#1 ·
Im toying with the idea of getting a cambodian or light colored delta to breed with my cambodian veiltail female.... is it possible to get a decent one from petco or petsmart? i really dont want to pay much over 15 dollars and it will be my first breeding so i dont care about show quality and all that, just healthy and pretty. would i be able to find one there? which one would you reccomend? there are no private petstores within an hour or so of me so my mom wont go with driving to one to see about their fish.. all the ones near me are closed and i cant find any breeders any closer.... any suggestions? I was gonna bread her to my male veiltail who is a multi but he might be a bit old by the time of the breeding and i really would like to get some cambodians.

#2 ·
I saw some really nice bettas at petsmart today, it just depends on the store, and who their supplier is. If you really want a fancy betta, aquabid.com is probably the place to go.

Just a word of warning, breeding bettas is not a matter to be undertaken lightly. You'll need live food to feed the fry, and separate containers for all of the male bettas when they get older. You also need to keep in mind that you'll end up with a *lot* of fish, and you should make sure you have somewhere that will take them.

#3 ·
I dont really like to do the online thing because im afraid of the shape the fish will arrive in... not to mention the fact that so far i have not seen any deltas that interest me other than a cute female which i dont need... so many pretty fish though.

dont worry, my female is not old enough to be bred and i have been practically inhaling anything that has to do with betta breeding, Im going to wait until novemer or early december (when it is winter i have more time because during spring and summer i have horses to train and show, i can relax more in the winter) i have about 80 glass jars some mite have to be in pint size temporarily but most are around 1/2 gallon or so. im going to remove the female before she drops all her eggs and try to keep it around 40 or so. I have several responsible friends and neighbors who would be able to adequatley take care of male bettas and a few who really want to get some soon (several more than one fish each) which i will give them for christmas (im going to check to make sure they have the setup first... but several of my friends have other fish and a few have empty betta aquariums from years past) and the remaining females will hopefully be able to get along in a sorority tank, and i will have a 5.5 gallon tank left over from breeding that i can divide into two if i need to keep a couple males.

i will most likley be feeding egg yolk and bbs... then hikari first bites? still doing the research...

if i feel im not ready i will forget about it and wait until i am, even if it takes years.

#4 ·
Glad to hear you're doing your research. Kudos for being responsible!

It'll probably work best to just call around all the local stores and ask if they carry the kind of bettas you're looking for. You can also check around for local betta breeders whom you may be able to arrange a sale with. Aquabid also has a search function where you can enter your state, so you may be able to find a vendor there who lives in your area and will let you come pick the fish up.
i will most likley be feeding egg yolk and bbs... then hikari first bites? still doing the research...
Live food is best because it will stay alive longer, thereby not polluting the water as quickly. I recommend microworms and vinegar eels as well. I keep a few containers of vinegar eels at all times, as they're *so* easy to culture. That way anytime I see fry in a tank, I already have food for them.

#5 ·
thanks i might do the state search thing on aquabid if i cant find something within petsmart soon, i have a couple months lol. I didnt kn ow you could do that... unfortunatley both our local petstores went out of buisness one this year one last year. :(

#8 ·
I tried to call them but it was just their grooming center. im asking next time i go. I thought she was a delta when i bought her but now im just about 100% sure she is veiltail.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/cinnafab10/?action=view&current=HPIM0352.jpg

and no, im no longer looking for a delta to breed her too... but not a veiltail either. I have places for the babies and im thoroughly doing my research before i even attempt (shes not old enough yet anyways) dont worry :)

#11 ·
Compared to a place like Indonesia (which is much closer to large scale betta breeding operations), the quality of bettas sold in regular pet stores here in the U.S. is likely to be not as good. If you're looking for the more interesting varieties, definitely scope out aquabid or get in touch with a local aquarium society. There are plenty of betta breeders here in the U.S. breeding excellent show-quality fish, it's just they aren't doing it in any sort of large-scale manner and aren't selling their fish in pet shops. Unfortunately, the really nice bettas are also very expensive here.

#14 ·
***** just a heads up to everyone that read this post/is reading it... i ended up getting a "rescue" found a lovley cambodianish butterfly crowntail male with ammonia poisoning and filthy water at petsmart. Hes doing much better right now but not 100% yet. *****

no i dont live in california so i dont sorry.

#15 ·
nav2008 said:
***** just a heads up to everyone that read this post/is reading it... i ended up getting a "rescue" found a lovley cambodianish butterfly crowntail male with ammonia poisoning and filthy water at petsmart. Hes doing much better right now but not 100% yet. *****

no i dont live in california so i dont sorry.
yeah, i think so..
many betta in sorry condition in that kind of store :(
maybe other can help me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.