Betta Fish Forum banner

Wow that's dangerous...

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ThePearlFish 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to post this thread for a while (ever since I first changed Dorian's water that is).
Just a warning, make sure that when you buy gravel you sift through it a bit (perhaps even wash it) before you put it in your fish's tank (that is if you don't already do it). I bought some nice gravel from the local aquarium store and I didn't realise this until I did the first water change, but it had all these rusty pieces of metal wire in it!! :shock:
And this was gravel bought from a pet store.
That could've ended reallt badly.

Just a warning... you all probably already check the gravel and stuff anyway... but yeah. Maybe some of the newer fish owners like me would benifet.

#3 ·
It was such a shock because I didn't notice them when I was putting them in, but then when I was doing the first wate change and scooping out the gravel with my hands to scrub it with hot water I cut myself on a piece of the wire... I was like wth...
I still have the little bits sitting on my bench as a reminder to be more careful next time.

#5 ·
You should always wash and re-wash any gravel you get,

If I had of run across something like that I would have been livid,
Lord help the store, I'd have marched it straight back and made a totally ass of myself in front of everyone.

I would a come away with more then just my money back I can guaranteed you that!

That is horrible!

#7 ·
How horrible! You should let the pet store know, not in an angry way or anything.

#9 ·
Tigris: Yeah it was packaged gravel... so it is definitely the supplier's fault not the store's fault. I did let them know at the store tough, and they told me they would phone the supplier (lucky I still had the package the gravel came in and it had the batch number on it). I don't tink I will be buying that brand gravel again though!

Sandy: Yeah :l I wouldn't imagine it would be good. But I gut the iron/rusty wire out pretty promplty, and I've made sure that there is no more of it in there. Dorian seems fine though. Thank goodness.

#11 ·
I cut myself on a piece of the wire... I was like wth...
OMG! i hope you are up to date on you tetanus booster in case.. :-/

and I hope it doesn't affect your fish either. :(

I think you should at least let the petstore know it can be a safety hazard to people.

~TPF

#13 ·
well that's good!! :)

~TPF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.