Betta Fish Forum banner

My 1st time cycling, any tips?

859 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HarleyRigid 
#1 ·
So i brought home my 2 new 5gal tanks, set them up ect then added the one spoon ful of ammonia.
Im going the fishless method and read up on the ammonia method to be one of the best ones to do as far as speeding things up.
So like the site said my ammonia readings where over 8.0 1st go.
so along with the ammonia do yall have and suggestions as to what i can do to speed things up? I cant really do the seed method cause out of all my friends and familey im the only fish owner this addicted to fish ahhaha , so my tank would be the 1st established tank ( when done).
Oh aswell, my local gocery store only had cloudy ammonia, it has nothing added to it by the looks of it so is that ok?

#2 ·
You just have to look at the ingredients. I wanted to go that way but I could only find stuff that had surfactants (sp?) in it I did some looking around and that wouldn't be good for Bettas.

I'm currently cycling a 14gal with some shrimp. I was told by others that live plants and turning up the heater will help speed things up. Other than that you just have to wait (the worst part :) )

#3 ·
You just have to look at the ingredients. I wanted to go that way but I could only find stuff that had surfactants (sp?) in it I did some looking around and that wouldn't be good for Bettas.

I'm currently cycling a 14gal with some shrimp. I was told by others that live plants and turning up the heater will help speed things up. Other than that you just have to wait (the worst part :) )
On my bottle it only sayes ammonia, so i think ill be ok, i just find it odd that it sayes cloudy ammonia. Do you think i should add food aswell or just go with ammonia?

#4 ·
I heard food was the easiest because it keeps a steady flow of ammonia going. I don't know much about using pure ammonia but I did hear it was the fastest. I would continue with the ammonia, I'm not as experienced with this so maybe wait for someone who has more. But the ammonia sounds good to me :) you can also read about it on the cycling sticky on this section.

#5 · (Edited)
Easiest method is definately the 'shrimp in' method. I used this method and was cycled in 4 weeks. Drop a shrimp in and just test the water every few days... thats it. Too easy. As for speed... the ammonia method is pretty fast I hear as there is no waiting for food to break down to create ammonia. I wouldnt bother adding food aswell as ammonia as there is no point, the food is only added so that it will break down and create ammonia. No need for this if you are already dosing ammonia straight in.
I got all my info from the cycling sticky on this site and it worked a charm but if you need any specific help just holler.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.