Betta Fish Forum banner

3 weeks of finrot vs. me = finrot wins

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nel3 
#1 · (Edited)
I really tried so hard!! :-(

okay, a few weeks ago I bought a pretty crowntail missing a bit of his tail. You could still see his spikes.
He had finrot.
I have a 10 gallon awating to be set up so until then I bought a 2.5 gallon tank for finrot fish.

SO:
Tank: 2.5 gallon
Temp: 76-78 (heater yes)
Filter: OFF
Only betta in the tank, no tank mates
& I know my sink water is fine because I've had my halfmoon plakat for months. I use the same water and prime for both of them. I just dont get it.

I did DAILY 100% water changes for the 1st week. After that, daily 70% percent, so I didnt have to take him out.

I added 1 tsp per gallon of salt. I turned off the filter. I added captatpa leaves. I tried 'bettafix'. I feed him omega one pellets x4 a day, occasional freezed dried blood worm.

I use prime with my water, and API AQ salt.

I did a 100% water change yesterday, woke up this morning, and his tail is even SHORTER! its like why??? the tips had clear white like growth and were getting bigger, then it just disappears, but not his whole tail, just the middle. Can crown tails tail bite?

Im just thinking of letting the finrot stuff go, just go to usual water changes and stop obessing over it. Cause his tail is so short he looks like a plakat now. But the strange thing is, it doesn't look like fin rot. It looks like it was ripped. He only has silk plants in his tank, just one at that. And a little stone bridge. Should I take out all his decorations?

See less See more
#4 ·
At this point, since it isnt responding to salt and clean water, it may now need antibiotics. My fish has it, and its worse, sigh.

Id say try maracyn I and II together for the recommended dose and time on the medicine. Use both because I frankly dont know which it is, gram neg or gram positive, and one cures one and the other..the other, hah.

Keep everything else the same, minus the other meds. The water changes will need to be cut down per the medicine instructions, but its okay.

Its $7 a pack, but comes with quite a bit.

Just a suggestion, that's what Im doing.

#5 ·
This is so annoying haha. I dont get how the gross water at petco was better than my clean daily water here. Sighhhh

Hes in a 2.5 gallon, so is the measurments on the medicine easy? when my fish had like ich and all that stuff I got this packet power stuff that would treat 10 gallons and up.

#6 ·
I cant recall, Im actually not the one treating Baller atm, ds2009 is. I cant have two tanks, so booo! I think, and am pretty sure, that API has the dosing info on their site.

I think(?) its in tablet form, which means you can cut it. So, lets say it treats 10 gallons. Cut in half (make a line across ith scissors) and break, now it treats 5. Cut again the same way, treats 2.5 gallons.

:)

#8 ·
why would a betta nip its own tail? now that i read this i did notice it did eat 1 or 2 blue flakes. if so why would stop it?

#10 ·
there seems to be no noticlble tail loss. its in a unheated .5 gal at the moment with temperatures from 29 (water change) down to 20 or so (depends on house A/C) just b4 water change. one small plastic tree offers 1/4 of a tank to hide in. in worst case scenario can a fish eat off enough to lose its ability to swin?

#11 ·
They use they pectorals to swim mostly. Also you want to try and get the temp after a water change close to the start temp, and I think 29* celcius is on thee hot side of the temp spectrum.

#12 ·
what then would be the start temperature? 28 0r median of 24 to stay above 22 celsuis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.