Betta Fish Forum banner

Help me identify all the things wrong - pictures

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  GreenTea 
#1 ·
This guy was left with me in a filthy 3 gal tank.

I'm guessing popeye, bloat, maybe fin rot? I don't see any fungus or raised scales but his eyes are blurry. I currently have him in warm water with a high aq salt dosage. I didn't sleep at all so I need to now..8 am yuck. When I wake up I'm going to go get him some betta revive or something. Here's photos! Help is appreciated. His gills look swollen.

This guy is also huge by the way o_0

See less See more
#3 ·
The owner was like "I was just going to dump him in the river"

I was like, oh ok ...(the Columbia river! full of freezing and chemicals) good thing you brought him here instead! Bye now!

I'm also wondering if he just has a big goofy triangle head with big eyes or is sick. He's weird lookin!

#4 ·
Hmm....I don't see anything too terribly wrong with him....nothing that can't be cured with clean, warm water and some TLC(and maybe some salt too wouldn't hurt).
I would suggest Epsom salt instead of AQ though....he does look a touch bloated(nothing serious of course), and the Epsom will help with that. Also, if you suspect pop-eye(which I personally don't see; maybe someone a little more experienced might...?)then the Epsom will help with that as well.

For his gills...can you get him to flare? I've had bettas that just have large beards, which might be all that is. If you can get him to flare and get a better look at his beard, that should help to see if its swollen/abnormal or not.

#5 ·
His gills are definitely swollen - you know how under their jaw the beard/gills line up? It looks like they're being pulled from his face. He can't really swim. It's hard for me to tell if it's popeye - his eyes arent HUGE but they appear larger than would be expected even at the strange end of things. Warm water, salt, and TLC it is then..

#8 ·
Hmm....then definitely Epsom salt is the way you wanna go(same dosage as AQ salt if I recall); that will address the bloating and any swelling.
When in doubt; Warm, clean water, TLC, and some salt is always the way to go....it really is amazing how much such a simple treatment can cure.

For the bloating, fast him for a day or two and then offer him some Frozen Daphnia; that'll help get his system moving and, along with the Epsom salt, should take care of the bloat.

Like I said, I don't see pop-eye....I've had fish with larger eyes like that before, it just seems like the way they are. Pop-eye, in my experience, makes the eye a little larger then that/makes it look milky and cloudy.

But poor little guy, almost tossed in the river like that :/ How terrible, what a waste of a lovely, handsome little boy that would have been(I have a bad soft spot for the blues like that; my first betta was a Blue VT JUST like this guy). Its a good thing is in good hands now, good for you for taking him in :)

#11 ·
lol I guess I read your post the wrong way :p I love blue bettas!! :D And I agree, red eyed whites are very personable animals. Especially New Zealand White rabbits. They were bred as lab animals and for human/animal consumption so many diseases have been bred out of them yet my small animal rescue is ridden with them :( Sorry!! That was off topic!!

#16 ·
Thanks Dragonfish, I add the the people from WA and always let them know what I'm doing, I have a few guys that need a new home =]

And thanks Tiki, I'm trying.

UPDATE:
His eyes have cleared up completely, and look slightly less absurd. He's a little less bloated. I gave him 1 pellet since he's in medicated water and needs some energy, he's gone through a lot these past few days. His fins are so brittle and pale =[

Also, I got him to "flare" today. It was like he forgot how. He opened his gills, and on one side his beard opened a little, but didnt go down, and I couldn't see the beard on the other side open really. Anyway, since he's done that, HE HASNT STOPPED FLARING! It's so funny. Anything and everything, he's mad at it. He looks like a kid who just discovered how to hit his sister with a stick. I'm hoping that with time and practice he'll get it right, if not, it will just be an endearing trait of his that he doesnt know how to flare.

#17 ·
LOL " He looks like a kid who just discovered how to hit his sister with a stick" GOLD!

im late to this thread but no no popeye :)

#19 ·
I was searching on Betta Revive and came across your post. I just discovered Velvet on my girl Betta and only was able to do this looking at her at a certain angle, however I then got a flashlight and the gold rust colored sparkle really stood out. In the pics, I see a gold shimmer and since Velvet effects gills first then it seems they could be swollen from this.

Please shine a flashlight asap and see if you can see any gold shimmer on his skin. If caught early you can cure it. It has been 3 days on Betta Revive without changing her water and already the Velvet is diminishing. I suggest you try to see if you can see the gold shimmer with a flaslight in a dark room.

Hope this helps and I will see how you are doing..maybe we can both help each other out here :)

#20 ·
No he doesn't have any velvet, I checked =]

I'm glad it's working for you. I have thankfully never had to deal with velvet or ich, I heard it can be a pain in the tush to get rid of. I'm glad betta revive is working for you, it's worked wonders for me, even in really bad situations where I thought I'd lose fish. And you can't beat the price!

He is out of his medicated water now and looking much better!

#21 ·
whew! that is good to hear he is doing better and you don't have to mess with the gold disease. Those selfish bastards keep hanging onto her! Although, it seems they are falling off slowly.

Can I ask you, I have not changed her water in 3 days since the new treatment and it is a new tank....when should I change it with the Betta Revive? I just gave her a new dose a few hours ago, but don't know what to do about the water change.

I went to Petco and got a water sample tested and they said the ammonia levels are at 0 due to using salt and water conditioners in a filtered tank...she is the only fish in a 2 gallon filtered tank, so I guess I am getting good water conditions in this new set up.

The directions on Betta Revive don't really say much...what did you do with your experience??

#22 ·
Well anytime I have a sick fish I do 100 percent daily, usually because they're in a smaller space and I'm neurotic. I think you should continue to dose her with it depending on...

How long has she been on it? Is the velvet totally gone yet? How is she otherwise - eating/pooping/etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.