Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #491 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Nooooooooo. I typed this whole thing out and then I click another tab. Came back and swoosh, everything was gone.

I think it depends on the individual fish whether you can get a pair to coexist in a 5g. For some individuals, it might be fine. But other ones might spend all their energy trying to kill one another. Generally, based on what I read, it doesn't seem to matter if you have a large tank or not as long as you provide adequate hides, plenty of plant cover, and proper tank maintenance. But you have to remember with a pair of fish, it often leads to more than just a pair. My wilds are a perfect example of that.
ugh I HATE IT when that happens!!

I was looking at just a solo male, wouldn't want to risk 2 fighting (and 2 turning into 20) in a 5g. Thank you for your input!
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #492 
Fenghuang

Two weeks of growth later... I started with only a few plantlets of each plant. Including just three little plantlets(?) of duckweed.

You can see the empty spots where I skimmed duckweed off to put in other tanks.

Some not so good baby shots.

They are about 1/3-1/2 of an inch long. I only ever see a few at a time, but I figure there are more in the big mass of floating plants

On top of the wilds' tank is also one of the kittens' favourite places to play and cuddle. These little buggers are too curious at this age. I have to fight them off when I feed the fish because they keep trying to climb and jump into the tank.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #493 
Aqua Aurora

I'm sure they won't be so eager to get in the tank once they experience "wet" from it.
Yeh duckweed is ridiculously aggressive grower which is why its illegal in so many places, can really mess with water ways and such.
Good luck with the fry, hope most make it to juv/adulthood for you ^^
Old 07-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #494 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I'm sure they won't be so eager to get in the tank once they experience "wet" from it.
Yeh duckweed is ridiculously aggressive grower which is why its illegal in so many places, can really mess with water ways and such.
Good luck with the fry, hope most make it to juv/adulthood for you ^^
I don't know about that... All of them have managed to get up on their hindlegs and dip their front paws in.

I have seen duckweed at a local lake. The entire surface was green.

Fingers crossed. The parents are good little betta parents, which helps. Even the females does not eat fry, although they readily take live food like mosquito larve.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #495 
Aqua Aurora

I found a lot of duckweed at the pond and calm parts of the stream at my local part.. also and a local ludwigia (forget second part of name I think it starts with a "P".. maybe Palustris? and another plant I've not properly IDed yet.. maybe a rotala species or "star grass"? But yeh the duckweed was very aggressive there, which is sad.. wasn't there at all last year (just the ludwigia and unknown stem) so some [censor] hole dumped duckweed in.
If you set up a "basking lamp" (possibly with a heater blanket) the kittens might not live on the tank hood as much, I think they're up there because its so warm and cats are prone to lay where its warm (like on top of laptops and cable box equipment =.=).