Betta Fish Forum banner

Bye Petco

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
Today I went to my LPS, and I have to say I was really impressed. I immediately rushed into the aquatics section and found half-moons. They were all white! As in white! And they were in perfect condition, and water with not a hint of poop! And then I couldn't find the females, I asked the guy there, and they were in a heavily planted tank, as in, a huge tank with lots of plants and females! :D and then I went to the supplies, and there were tanks already set up to show you what they looked like, with fish in them! And again, clean water! They also had better customer service than the petco near me! Every corner I went to, someone asked me for help :D petco, I'm sorry, but bye :p I hope you guys can share some of your great LFS or LPS near you guys!

#3 ·
I only have a Petsmart and Walmart, and those are practically an out of town venture. They're across the highway from the airport here, which is quite a ways out of town.

There haven't been any pet stores in town for years now, at least no quality ones. They never seem to last, which doesn't make much sense in a town of retired old people and a growing teen population. Someone in there has to want a pet.

#4 ·
Ahh ): I haven't picked up any bettas from my LPS yet because I currently don't have the set up for them, but my two other bettas are from petco, and the other I found him at the dollar store ):

#7 ·
Its the exact opposite for me where I live, the first betta I bought I went to 3 different pet stores. I went to Petsmart, but there betta fish weren't that spectacular. I then went to a non-chain fish store and same thing, no energetic eye-striking bettas. I finally went to another non-chain fish store and picked out a blue crowntail, it was pretty much the last one left. Ive had him for two months and he is super energetic, just moved him into a 15 gallon tank from a 2 gallon bowl.

A few days ago i went to walmart to pick up some stuff for the fish tank and saw a really nice crowntail, mostly blue and red but with hints of purple, most healthy fins ive ever seen in person, clean water, super active, he also has white long fins that with hints of purple in them, really cool. I put him in to the 3 gallon bowl, he looks better than my other betta but my other one has been in that bowl for two months so senority wins.

I went to another local fish store hoping id strike gold with a really nice betta but they only had 5 to 6 and they weren't too active, the worker there wasn't too helpful.

Im hoping one day ill walk into petco or petsmart right when they have had a new shipment, you think it would be tuesday since everything gets shipped on tuesday?

#8 ·
@tonyk that's really cool! It's gonna be worth the drive, wats that shop called?

#19 ·
The spop will be named Vang's Plakats. He is on Aquabid and he goes by Vanganator. I am looking forward to this. The bettas he had on Aquabid have always looked real nice.

Maggie Lynn I'm at a work computer right now when I get home I will send you the information on his store.

#10 ·
Haha. X) it stands for local pet store

#11 ·
there are 2 petcos, a petsmart and 2 walmarts in my town with two LFS i prefere the one named advanced aquariums its alil mom and pop shop but they have the most beautiful bettas, the other place kept them in tiny jars that were dusty and the store was very open like it was temporary, at advanced every wall had a tank on it it was so cool and the bettas although were in "cups" it was like a row of them that go in a big tank, ill have to get a pic sometime but its cool. there was a pretty blue guy with a white head and they had an all black hmpk with silver lines on the tail and a black bodied crown tail with beautiful blue, red and purple fins I dont know why I never went there before i was mesmerized. If you search you can find some good places

#20 ·
My lps takes okayish care of their fish. Ive only seen one or two dead, and the only sick one Ive seen had dropsy. And Ive been going their for years.

They only sell one type of betta food, so I go to Petsmart for that, but I there for medications, tank decor, water conditoner and fish. :)

#22 ·
Since I'm in Australia we have neither a Petco nor a Petsmart. We do have a massive amount of petshops in and around the city, though, ranging from very bad to absolutely excellent.

My favourite is a little pet shop about a 15 minute drive from my house. He sells mostly supplies, but the live animals he sells are crickets and fish. He has a dedicated fish room with about 100 40 litre/10 gallon tanks. It is heated by a space heater. Every tank has a powerful sponge filter. The bottom row of tanks all hold plants. In most of these he keeps a male veiltail. Two of them are given over to sororities.
His special bettas, (crowntails, deltas and halfmoons) go in a series of 8 tanks just over 1 litre. Each have a little plant to hide behind. They aren't filtered but get water changes daily. They are up there so people can see them better. It's not a lot of space, but each betta can swim up and down, a little bit side to side and can easily turn around. :) When there are less than 8, he tries to alternate fish/emtpy compartment so they aren't constantly seeing each other and stressing. :)

He's a lovely man, too, and gives me discounts. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.