Betta Fish Forum banner

Well...What do you think?

896 views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 ·
I was at petco today, and I looked at the NLS foods....It was a new batch and it looks like they have changed what the ingredients say....The ingredients now say this:

whole antarctic krill, whole herring, whole wheat flour, algae, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, fruit extracts, vegetable extracts, (and then all the vitamins)

It looks like they no longer list anything as "meal". So is it the same? Did they just leave out the word "meal" to short hand it? Are they still meals?

I don't know. What do you think? I don't know if I can trust them anymore, because if they aren't using meals anymore, then I don't know if those fish are really the first ingredients...

#4 ·
They've had those ingredients for a while now, I've had my NLS since January and it has those exact ingredients on it. And no I don't believe they are actually "meals" anymore :)

#5 ·
But guys...wouldn't this be a bad thing? Because ingredients are measured by their pre-cooked weight, we don't know if the meats are really the most abundant ingredient.

#6 ·
They need to list ingredients by content going by the most and then to the least, it would be...well illegal for them to do so otherwise basically. I wouldn't see why they would do that in which case because they are so very popular and probably very rich at this point.

#7 ·
Well, what pet food companies do, is weight everything before they cook it. So, the whole fish and algae still have the moisture in it. After it is cooked, about 80% of that weight is cooked out. That way, if a meal is listed, then you know that's the real amount, because there is no moisture to cook out of it.

#11 ·
But how would they know? It's all ground up together before it's cooked...

#10 ·
Ah gotcha, but still, when was the last time they had "meal" products in their food? not while I've been in the hobby obviously though.

#18 ·
I am a little skeptical, but I do believe you that they could do that. I already messaged the company asking if the ingredients are still meals earlier today...

Do you think they are still the best fish food?

#20 ·
Good points...I have to say NLS is still my favorite by far too...

Do the ingredients on yours have "whole antarctic krill meal" or whole antarctic krill"?

#23 ·
I worded that strangely...I meant are you going to continue to buy it even though it has the changed ingredients?

#26 ·
Hey guys, just did some more research and realized....Since the guaranteed analysis is the same on the new food as the old one, and they haven't added any new ingredients, then they are indeed including the same amount of meat in the final product. And now that it is fresh meat and not a meal, it is indeed better than before :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.