Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GinjaHaZ 
#1 ·
So for my divided 10 gal that I will be setting up tomorrow (well today rather), my dad bought me an Aqua-Tech 5-15 gal Power Filter from WalMart. I have a feeling that this one may be too strong. Has anyone had one of these before?

#2 ·
I'm honestly just thinking about making him stop by Petsmart tomorrow before I get to my new apartment and getting a Tetra Whisper 10i. I have the 3i and love it. I just don't know how up set he'll be that he wasted money on the other one.

#3 ·
I had one but it drove me nuts. The outflow will be too strong but you can baffle it. I stuck some foam/sponge made for the aquaclear filter in the spot where the water flows out. I had to weight down the lid with a rather big rock I took out of a local river or it will pop open and the sponge will fall out. The tank is almost next to my bed and I can't stand the sound of water falling, it drives me nuts.

The other thing is, if you have sand substrate, its a real PITA to get to the motor to unlodge the sand. With the Tetra 10i, all you do is seperate the top from the bottom and give the propellar thing a little jab - and problem fixed.

If you can, return the aqua teck and get the tetra instead. you stil may need to baffle it though. I had to for my 5G. All I did was stick an oversized peice of filter foam at the outflow and some overlarge plants in front of it.

you can always get another tank and use it for other fish...

#5 ·
Im using gravel and/or marbles so I don't have to worry about it getting clogged up and what. I told my dad about it this morning and he didn't seem upset. I like the one on amazon but just for the sake of quickness, im going to try and get the tetra whisper 10i.
And I thought about getting other fish but my budget for this divided 10 gal is nearing the roof... plus being in a small apartment, I dont think I'd have room for another 10 gal.

#6 ·
I have an Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter on my 10 gallon and love it. I keep my water level high enough that the sound of the outflowing water breaking the surface isn't an issue and to slow the outflow you can simply raise the intake tube slightly, thus eliminating the necessity of an unsightly baffle.

#7 ·
I have that filter and it's a pain. I like it but the flow is too strong. Not to mention my betta's fins get sucked up, so I took some mesh and wrapped it around the intake. Problem solved. I plan on ordering a pre-take sometime, and maybe getting some aquarium sponge. Otherwise I baffled it with a water bottle and it's fine.

#8 ·
I got the whisper 10i and its pretty strong as well. I made the water bottle baffle and it sort of helps but Lucifer still gets pushed around some. I still have the aqua tech so I may give it a try later.

#9 · (Edited)
Next time you are at a petshop, buy some filter foam and stick it where the water flows out. This will help reduce the current a bit.

I have my filter in the corner and I also stuck one of Zoo Meds betta plants right up next to it. They come with suction cups and should be pretty cheap - about $2 for the plant. I stuck it up right near the filter on the side and had it so that one of the leaves rests on the outflow lip. This also helps reduce the current a bit.

They have different ones, but this is the one I use as the "branches" work better then some of the other types of plants they have.

It is plastic but the ends are pretty soft.

Here is a pic of it, sort of...you can see the filter in the background with the plastic plant and a few silk plants. The current dosent push him around at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.