Betta Fish Forum banner

Tetras?

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Elliriyanna 
#1 ·
I am stocking a 10 gallon very soon and I am just wondering has anyone tried Tetra in with their Betta? I have always loved Tetra.

I do have back up stocking plans, I was just wondering if this was Viable ... Finn is definitely my centerpiece fish.

I have looked at shrimp and they are a maybe, I am getting a couple more snails, I looked at bottomfeeders but pretty much all of them get too big.

#2 ·
I have neon tetras in my 33 gallon but I've know 10 gallon set ups in which this does work. Most neons aren't fin nippers like some other tetras like silver tip or any of them that aren't torpedo shaped. I would say you could do 4-5 neons with him, and ghost shrimp is also do-able. But I would watch out because some Bettas find them to be a tasty treat! So if you try with a ghost shrimp at first and see how your betta reacts you can get some other shrimp that aren't as cheap if you wanted like cherry shrimp or amano shrimp. But if you like ghost shrimp that's fine too! You could make sure they have small places to hide so the betta can't get at them as well if you find he does want to eat them :)

#3 ·
Yeah I would want something not nippy. Its a pain because I dont have much available locally... I may try out this local mom and pop place.

I do like ghost shrimp ... Maybe try a trio ...

I would like something with a lighter bioload as well .. It seems glowlights may be an option. Though I do love neons.

#4 ·
Yeah I would do a couple ghost shrimp
or three-five neon tetras.

I had three neon tetras with my betta in my 5gal and they got along well.
I transferred them to my 10gal though cause I wanted my betta to have all that space to himself :)

#6 ·
Ooh I hear glowlight tetras are quite peaceful and don't nip as much. However, try to get female tetras since they are calmer and the male tetras tend to bother the female tetras.

IF your tetras start nipping your betta's beautiful tail or fins, GET THEM OUT OF THERE.

It's not really their fault, they think the tail is food, but for the betta's sake, put the tetras in a separate tank.

#8 ·
A 10 gallon should be fine :p I have a 10gal sorority with around 5-6 tetras and they get along fine.

Maybe perhaps a cory catfish? My betta leaves that alone and they do a good job of cleaning up the tank :)

#14 ·
Sounds good! Got one mystery snail and 2 ghost shrimp for my 5gal. They get along great. Make sure to add the Betta last though. Mystery snail is so cute, id highly recommend it :)

#17 ·
My tetras eat them once they're a little softer so I wouldn't say no to that. But I usually feed the girls first and then the neons also eat the bottom feeder wafer along with the algae wafer I throw in for my corys and pleco.

#18 ·
Its just so the Betta doesn't feel as if they're intruders in his territory and gets defensive. Oh you can stabilize the tank, but once you're ready to add the tetras, do a water change and rearrange / add decor, add the non aggressive fish, then your Betta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.