Betta Fish Forum banner

Dropsy

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hey. So it turns out that my treament of Consipation really didn't do much b/c sushi has Dropsy. His scales are slightly raised now. Is there any last minute things i could try? over the past year and a half i have kinda gotten attatached to this guy... Ideas? How long will he probably last? is it best to just let him die or would "putting him to sleep" be better for him?

He still has appetite, he can swim fine, but when he lays on the gravel he is on one side, and his fins aren't clamped. He still even will flare at his reflection... what do i do? how could he have gotten this? i feel like a failure :(

#2 ·
As far as I know, dropsy is not a curable disease and how it's contracted is unknown. However, some fish that do come down with it are capable of living quite a long time, so euthanasia should be out of the picture. Hopefully yours is one of the more resilient ones, right? Even if not, a year and a half seems like quite a time - you can never be sure how old they are upon purchasing them (unless they're fry or clearly infantile).

Regardless, I'm sorry this has happened. I've noticed my fish has been a little pudgy lately, so I've been fasting him in hope that it'll diminish. I've also been watching his scales, but I think I've become a little obsessive and may be visualizing problems that don't really exist!

#3 ·
Dropsy is a symptom and often caused or seen in fish that have kidney damage from long term salt use, poor water quality, bacterial infection etc...
Usually once dropsy occurs not many fish recovery regardless of treatment.
As long as the fish is not suffering let nature take its course, however, when a fish is suffering it is in the best interest to humanly euthanize them
What treatment have you tried?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.