Betta Fish Forum banner

Fins problem!

916 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  LittleBlueFishlets 
#1 · (Edited)
Male HM. Was constipated and bloated 3 wks ago. Treated w/ Epsom salt and changed diet.... He recovered, but started tail biting. Was active until today.

Today: Caudal and anal fin gone almost to the body. He was not like this yesterday! (Dorsal, ventral, pectorals are OK.) Bits of fins were all over the bottom of his tank. Lethargic, and does a slow float up/sink down. Treated w/ 100% WC and 1/4 tsp Epsom salt.

Mainly worried about his fins! (See pics.) Are they OK?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets / 2x per day. (4 total per day)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? one 100%, one 50% per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% done on Monday (two days ago)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Did not test. My tap water usually has no ammonia, and a 100% WC was done two days ago, and again just now.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Started biting his fins 3 weeks ago (after bloating). Fin bits found in his poop. But he was active... Today, his anal and caudal fins are gone almost to the body. (But his dorsal, pectoral, ventral fins are fine.) Bits of fin at the bottom of the tank.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yesterday, active and fine.... Today, lethargic and hiding. Does a slow float, or a slow sink. Not swimming much. Has not pooped today.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% WC. Partial fill (1 gal) with 1/4 tsp Epsom salt. Also, his heater was really slimy (and I'd cleaned it two days ago).
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Constipation and bloating - 3 wks ago. Treated w/ Epsom salt.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young. Smaller than my other two.

The picture in my avatar is him. The picture below is what he looks like today.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks, Callistra! Two questions:

(1) Is there any problem with adding both 1/4 tsp Aq salt and 1/4 tsp Epsom salt at the same time?

I'm just starting a 100% WC process. I've added both salts to the tank - but none has been added to his cup yet.

When I tried the Aq salt alone, he started floating sideways. And he hasn't pooped, so even though he doesn't look bloated, I'm thinking he's constipated again.

(2) Is there any way to determine what's causing this? He was swimming happily on Tuesday, and looked like a mess on Wednesday night. So it's something fast-moving.

I watched him just now. Bits of fins fell off. And he was NOT tail biting.

I'll pick up the Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2 as soon as Petsmart opens tomorrow morning.

Poor little guy.

#7 ·
Hey there,

Maracyn-two is suppose to be a very effective treatment for fin rot which is what your boy seems to have so yeah get it for sure and treat as soon as possible as his condition is fairly advanced.

As for the salt, do not add both aquarium salt and Epson salt because you will overdose him. Also when treating with meds unless it says it is safe to do so on the medication packet or bottle do NOT add salt as well as the medication. Most medications already contain salt so if you added it as well it would cause a potencially harmful overdose. Good luck with him:)

#8 ·
As for the salt, do not add both aquarium salt and Epson salt because you will overdose him.
But if I'm only adding 1/4 tsp of each salt (per gallon), then in terms of total salt content, it should still be under the allowable amount for either:

1/4 tsp Epsom salt + 1/4 tsp Aq salt = 1/2 tsp total salts added (per gallon).

Thanks for the other advice!

#9 ·
Ah, here we go. (I *heart* this website!)

In post #9 on this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=101781

OFL wrote:
For Betta splendens-they can tolerate short term use of sodium chloride (aquarium salt) in dosages of 1-3tsp/gal...I like to limit treatment to 10 days-up to 14 days on rare occasions.

I use aquarium salt (sodium chloride) for external problems-limit to 10 days
I use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for internal problems-can be used long term

However, if I need to treat both an internal and external problem I will use Epsom salt 1-3tsp/gal.

Both Epsom an Aquarium salt have antibacterial/fungal properties

#10 ·
Oh sorry, missed that bit, I don't really know how that works mixing the salts. Anyhow as I mentioned his condition is fairly advanced and salt won't cure him so if you get that med then he will have a much better chance. Adding the salt is fine ATM but don't combine the salt and med:) sorry hope that helps

#12 ·
My local Petsmart only had Maracyn (erythromycin).... :cry:

I know it's not the correct medication, as it's for gram-positive bacteria, and all the meds that were recommended were for gram-negative. But Petsmart's medication shelves were almost completely empty. They only had Maracyn and some anti-fungal meds. I spoke to a sales associate who said they have nothing else in stock, and she didn't know when a new shipment would be arriving.

So I got the Maracyn, and added the correct dosage to his tank.

If the little guy and I are lucky, it'll turn out that his issues are caused by something that's gram-positive and susceptible to the erythromycin.....

I'm going to look up the next closest Petsmart and Petco stores. They're quite a distance away, but maybe I can drive out there over the weekend....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.