Betta Fish Forum banner

Stupid Question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ErinBBC 
#1 ·
If you have a heater, isn't it important to also have an air filter to help circulate the warm water? I just read a post that said bettas do not like air filters because of the current that circuluates through the bowl, so that's why I wonder. In the past few years that I've been caring for my bettas, they each have their "summer" home and "winter" home. In the summer, they get their glass bowls. In the winter, I put them in a heated tank with an air filter. Should I take it out this winter?

#2 ·
Well you can do both i have heard many people use air pumps and many not using air pumps. I think you should keep your Betta in it's winter home all year long because it sounds bigger when you phrase it as a tank and also a heater is always needed summer or winter.

#7 ·
Air stones just oxygenate the water, they don't filter it. Bettas have a special organ that allows them to 'gulp' oxygen from the surface of the water so they don't need an air stone and they probably would hate the bubbles anyway.

Filters are a great help as far as keeping the water clean and your fish healthy, just make sure you get a 'low flow' air pump driven filter or a sponge filter, not a power filter or a high flow air pump driven filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.