Betta Fish Forum banner

Appropriate Hospital/QT Tank?

783 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bahamut285 
#1 ·
G’day all ^^

I am searching for a relatively cheap Hospital/QT tank for Victor and/or future plants.

The below is a 4.5L (approx. 1.1 US gallon) tank with fluro lighting, filter and media with secure lid.

http://www.livefish.com.au/catalog/...l-fish-tank-silver-free-shipping/category/71/

Considering it has free shipping I may purchase it at the price it is. Before I do, I wanted to get the opinions of those who use QT/Hospital tanks first. Obviously this is not going to be Victor’s permanent home, just emergency home.

One thing that does cross my mind is heating, how does one heat a 1gallon?

#2 ·
hi banicks !!

for hospital and qt tanks i would recommend not having a filter .. because filter media will filter out the medications you are dosing the tank with ..

also hospital/qt doesn't need a light .. when bettas are sick .. it's best to keep them in a darker environment with not too much light .. so they think their whole space is a cave they are recovering in .. and you don't have to move too many hiding spots for him .. as this will be harder to monitor recovery progress

when i have a betta in qt .. i cover it with a cotton towel or an old cotton shirt or a material that is breathable so that oxygen can still get in .. and it can be dark for him that way

my qt tanks are 2.5g (that i only fill to 1g .. the dimentions are 6-1/4"L x 12-1/4"W x 8-1/4"H) .. the reason for this is because it gives him more spread out surface space to get air and the water is lower so he doesnt have to swim up so far to get air ..

then when he's getting better .. and since he's been in a small amount of water .. i can start filling the 2.5 tank with a little more water .. and more water .. so he can exercise his fins that have been atrophied in the lesser water .. and work his way up to being stronger .. so the jump from 1g to his regular 5g .. doesn't make him get too overly excited and start re-exploring too much too fast .. and get his fins torn up .. and then have to take him to his hospital tank again

#5 ·
Thankyou Mistress!

^ boy that could be taken out of context.

hehe .. i've requested a name change .. hopefully it'll be approved =D

#6 ·
IMHO, I wouldn't pay $50 for a hospital tank. I bought one of Marina's Betta Cubus (3.4L) for $15-ish. Easy to dose medication, easy to clean, easy to store. I don't even use the light fixture.

As for heating, I recommend finding a 10watt heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.