Betta Fish Forum banner
4M views 13K replies 2K participants last post by  Smaragdina_is_best@12345 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm sure everyone would love to see the variety of betta tanks/bowls that we have, so post pics of yours here!:-D I have to find my camera, and then I'll get pics of my tanks :)

#3,033 · (Edited)
any chance you can confirm if blue or turquoise? I guess maybe the light makes it more turquoise if you indeed have blue?

And 2kg bag would be fine for my 3g if you have 15litres as its just around 4g! thank you again!!!

Also, the plants in your tank are they real or silk or plastic? Cause I see they are in a base sitting on the gravel.

#3,039 ·
Here is one of my 10 gallons, waiting, longing, for a betta to inhabit it. It currently has a panda corydora, 3 threadfin rainbows, and an albino bristlenose plecostomus (clasping to the treasure chest in the right rear). My betta of 3 years (and 2 states- traveled from CO to NY with me when I moved) that I adopted from a life in a vase off craigslist passed away about a month ago. If any of you have bettas up for adoption or know of a reputable breeder, please let me know! I am on aquabid daily.

PS the tank looks cloudy because I just did a water change and redecoration. Bottom is black sand and gravel mix. I was going for a simplistic look...

#3,043 ·
#3,042 ·
I tried the divided 3 way 10 gallon..It didn't go so well...My one guy Batman got big time stressed out and now he is sickly..again..He was originally in the middle section. I have since moved my yellow betta (unnamed:lol:) into the middle section. and left the one section alone for now..Not sure if I want to get another betta for it or just use it for shrimp and such...:lol:

Here it is right now though:

Never mind the scrapbook paper in the back.:lol: I was looking to see what it would look like back there..I plan on getting something a little different.

#3,044 ·
So I've finally gotten Root Beer into his new home! He seems to be quite happy, and has finally stopped attacking the bubbles coming out of his filter! :lol: So here it is! (Sorry for the slight blurriness!)

#3,046 ·
Gizmothefreaky:
Where did you get the dividers for your ten gallon? I had a ten gal like that, but the cat broke it when I was out. No fish were in the tank, thank god....
But I could turn 'Hotel Splenden' on it's side, and place three of these on it, and leave LeRoy in his own tank. He has life-long popeye.... :(

#3,048 ·
I did consider that..Unfortunately I used aquarium sealant to hold my dividers in place..I didn't want to have to remove my fish...and tear down the whole tank to scrape sealant off and then wait another 2-6 days for sealant to dry...:lol:

...I ended up getting another fish while at petco buying a bigger critter keeper for Batman..:lol::-D

#3,049 ·
Here's my contribution. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/KaylinSilverfurr/Fishes/Img_0872.jpg
Fishy's home. It's a planted 10 Gallon, with driftwood, an ornament, Assassin Snails and Pond Snails. The Pond Snails were unwelcome hitch-hikers on one of the plants. For plant info; I have Java Moss, Anubias (not sure which variety), and 3 Amazon Sword plants. They've all been given some SeaChem Flourish gravel tabs, and I have a 10W flourescent light for them.
The Tank filter (an AquaTech 5-15) has been baffled with an algae sponge, and the blue thing on the filter intake is a small peice of OR disposable scrub cap. (I work in a hospital, so these things are free and easy for me to get ahold of).

The tank itself was a Walmart special that I had originally used for my three Goldfish. Once I got them upgraded to a bigger home, I started to refurbish the 10 Gallon in anticipation for Borealis. I had to get a heater and thermometer though, which wasn't a big issue.
The tank is also completely cycled, so I won't have to worry about stressing him too much with the same frequent water changes I do for the Goldfish, nor the Ammonia or Nitrite levels getting too high.

~Kaylin

#3,086 ·
that's a lovely looking set up Kaylin, I'm just curious what plant is that up front in the middle?

So sorry for not answering this earlier Silverfang!
The plants in the middle front directly in front of the driftwood are silk versions of Anubias Nana. The Plant middle back on the driftwood is Anubias, though I'm not sure which variety.

~Kaylin

#3,053 ·
Thought I'd share my current betta set up.
They are both 10 gallon tanks divided with DIY dividers. I know they aren't partitioned perfectly, but I didn't want to silicon them in place in case I wanted to do something different with the tanks down the rode. Both tanks are heated and filtered. I only use live plants.

Thanks for looking!
-DM17

#3,056 ·
I love the ten gallon tank ideas with dividers. If I were to buy one of the 12$ ten gal. can I add a bubbler thingy, and filter? Or do I have to buy it as the whole tank set up with the bubbler and filter?

#3,057 ·
I have just a plain ten gallon that i got bare (no hood or filter) and got the filter and heater separate. ^.^ It works wonderfully, and actually ended up costing me less than the kits, because i dont have the hood. But i am thinking now of getting one to increase the heat in my tank. the heater keeps the water around 75-77, i would like it warmer than that. If you get a better heater though you wont have to worry about a hood. XD I am cheap though and got the $15 heater at walmart.

#3,059 ·
Hey all, new to the forum, but not to fish keeping. Thought I would share my bettas homes.

This is my female. My fiancee just named her Bloody Mary. She has a 2.5 gallon tank with a Hagen Elite Mini filter. There are Java Fern, Dwarf Baby Tears, Crypto Parva, and some Blyxa. The tank gets dosed every other day with Excel and once a week with Flourish. The light is a 10 watt mini CFL full spectrum light.

This is my male's tank. His name is Gigantopithacus. His tank is a 1 gallon kit tank with power filter and 7 watt incandescent light. It has 5 crypto bulbs growing in it. It gets dosed every other day with Excel and once a week with Flourish.
I do a 70% water change once a week. They get a mixed diet of flake food and blood worms. I will soon be adding mosquito larvae to that menue.
Thanks for looking.:)

#3,082 ·
This is my female. My fiancee just named her Bloody Mary. She has a 2.5 gallon tank with a Hagen Elite Mini filter. There are Java Fern, Dwarf Baby Tears, Crypto Parva, and some Blyxa. The tank gets dosed every other day with Excel and once a week with Flourish. The light is a 10 watt mini CFL full spectrum light.
Cableguy, where did you get the light? Is it made specifically for plants? I'm asking because I had baby tears growing on some driftwood of mine, but I don't have plant lights and I let it all die. But it was so pretty! I would like to have it again, (MINUS all the SNAILS it brought into my tanks)... You said it is not hard to grow? The petstore told me it is difficult to keep it alive.

#3,085 ·
I have a 10 watt mini CFL light that I got at Wal-Mart in the pet section. It is the screw in type and I have it in an incandescent hood. When it comes to baby tears, you need to put it in the substrate in clumps. It wont grow on the wood. I dose the tank with Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. The Excel is artificial carbon for the plants. It is like CO2 for them. I have had mine growing for a few months now. The thing about this plant is that it likes high light and lots of nutrients. If you do it like that, it should take off for you. If you have any more questions, let me know.

#3,088 · (Edited)
I have a 10 watt mini CFL light that I got at Wal-Mart in the pet section. It is the screw in type and I have it in an incandescent hood. When it comes to baby tears, you need to put it in the substrate in clumps. It wont grow on the wood. I dose the tank with Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. The Excel is artificial carbon for the plants. It is like CO2 for them. I have had mine growing for a few months now. The thing about this plant is that it likes high light and lots of nutrients. If you do it like that, it should take off for you. If you have any more questions, let me know.
OK, thanks. I think I have one of those bulbs in my 5 gallon. I wasn't sure what CFL was but I guess FL stands for flourecent? Hmm... I guess mine died because it was not getting plant nutrients. It was very pretty. Here's a few pics.

#3,063 ·
Thank you. And for sure. I will update when they fill in more. I am hoping the Crypto Parva will get a little fuller too, but I don't think that will happen.

#3,064 ·
Hello! Sort of a newbie here. I've had one betta for about three and a half years... I got him for Christmas when I was 15, and sadly I came home to find him dead the other day. I immediately cleaned the tank and got it ready for a new betta (my room felt way too empty without one), and got a crown tail the next day (Mr. Fishy). The day after that, I acquired a 1.5 gallon hexagonal tank and a ten gallon tank. Needless to say, the past few days have been very fish filled for me :)

Mr. Fishy is currently in a 2.5 gallon

Burrito is currently in a 1.5 gallon

And just for fun: 2 black mollies (Bean), 2 white mollies (Slim Shady), 2 blue tetras (Violet), and an African Dwarf Frog (Herbert) in the 10 gallon

So, being a beginner, I have a couple of questions (Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask-- I just figured this would be best, since a lot of people seem to go here!)
1.) Mr. Fishy seems to lay on the big jewels I have at the bottom a lot. He's pretty active, so I don't think he's ill or anything- but I wanted to get other people's input. Should I be worried? I have a heater in the tank and it's at about 75 degrees. I got him three days ago.

2.) Burrito (VT), does the opposite- he's always at the top of the tank and hardly ever moves! I just got him yesterday so I'm not too concerned- I figure he's just adjusting.

3.) Does anyone think I'd be able to put Burrito in my ten gallon? The poor guy just seems a little cramped in the 1.5 gallon- he's pretty big even though I just got him. Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for your input, everyone! I only just joined today and I'm already addicted to this site! What a wonderful place for us to all share our love/obsession with Bettas :)

#3,065 ·
aww, sorry about your other fish, but wow, you sure bounced back fast! lol and with gusto!

as for your questions:

1) I think he is still adjusting, as long as he is eating and looks healthy he should be fine. But i would try and get the tank a little warmer. 78-80 is ideal.

2) Yeah, he is adjusting. I just got a new boy and he does the same thing. heh.

3) I think he would love the ten gallon, but if you put him in there do not add any other fish, as you will be at your limit as far as bio load. 1.5 gallons is really too small imho, i have all four of my boys in a divided ten gallon, so that they each have about 2.5 gallons, and that is the least ammount i would ever give them. I am actually thinking about getting a second tank and giving each boy five gallons. lol!

Welocme to the forums!!

#3,068 ·
mandleighb -
+1 on the plants. They need a place to hide. Some driftwood or rocks would also do them good. If you are going to put both bettas in the tank, they need plenty of places to hide. You can even use very small planters placed on their side half buried on the gravel to act as caves. As far as them not moving around so much, I would get a heater where you can adjust the heat. Bettas like warmer water. I usually keep mine between 78 and 84 the higher end is during the day and they love it. Also with warmer water comes a lower risk of disease. The mollies would do better in brackish water. They like a little bit of salt in their lives. And live plants would be the way to go. Since I planted my 1 gallon, my betta is very active and always has a nest. He will also hide in the plants and hunt. What are you feeding them? Mine get flake food and frozen/thawed bloodworms on alternating days. You may want to try that. Good luck, and if you need more help, just ask.