Betta Fish Forum banner

What are good medications to have on-hand at all times?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Ajones108 
#1 ·
What are good medications to have on-hand at all times?

We all dread the day that our betta becomes sick and we can't find the medication for it. So, I'm about to place another order with Foster and Smith Aquatics to get that cute little filter recommended to me...

( https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+9821&pcatid=9821 )

And I wanted to pick up a couple medications as well just in case my little boy betta does become sick. Thoughts? :eek:

#4 ·
i had this problem about a week ago.... how big is your tank? i had to place him in a betta cup for a few hours and clean everything with boiling water and scrub all my rocks do not use soap just water and i used a never been used dishcloth... his tail is starting to grow back...

#5 ·
My tank is a cycled tank so I can't pull everything down to clean it :-( last night I took him from QT and put him back in his tank that have RCS in there and he seems to have been occupied with them plus his tail doesn't look any worse, so hopefully this is the start to recovery :)

#6 ·
They sell betta first aid kit's if you want one, but good things to have are.
1)Fresh water aquarium salt.... Salt helps prevent parasitic diseases...
2)Methylene Blue...... Many pet stores add this to the containers they sell Bettas in. It is good in fighting fungal infections and sometimes helps treat Ich. Methylene Blue is also used to help sterilize aquarium equipment.....
3)Antibiotics...... The problem with this is, each antibiotic treats one kind of bacterial infection. So when buying antibiotics You should get a couple of each kind...
4)Indian Almond Leaves.... Not only does this put the betta in his most natural enviroment, it help to make his scales tougher. So he has less chances of getting cuts and scrapes that can turn into a nightmare... Plus it is a water conditioner, and can lower PH levels..

#8 · (Edited)
I bought mine here: http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc the leaves were very fragrant, clean, and had no rips at all. They were very well packaged. The banana leaves are supposedly better as a healing agent, the primary use of IAL is for breeding and to mimic the betta's natural water conditions. I would get some of each.

Personally I keep on hand:

Aquarium/kosher salt - for fin damage and open wounds
Epsom salt - for stubborn bloating and constipation
Methylene blue - disinfectant, I would use it on severe cuts and injured fish whose immune systems have been compromised
Praziquantel (Jungle's Parasite Clear) - internal parasites
API's Triple Sulfa - broad spectrum antibiotic
Maracyn I - gram positive bacteria
Maracyn II - gram negative bacteria
Malachite Green - severe external parasite infestation (ich/velvet)

CLEAN WATER & REGULAR MAINTENANCE - EVERYTHING :) If you take care of your fish properly, you should not have to worry about him or her getting sick. Do not undervalue the benefits of good care habits. You should regularly test your water with a liquid freshwater master test kit to be sure that your routine is working.

#9 · (Edited)
Thank you so much, Adastra! That's exactly what I needed! :)

I find Maracyn I and II a little pricy to get right now to keep on hand but I have AQ salt, I'm getting Methylene blue and Malachite green. Parasite Clear is also a little on the high end as well. I am however thinking about getting API's Triple Sulfa at least for some sort of antibiotic.

However, I have a question. Most dosages are on treating 10 gallon tanks. How do you measure the needed amount for something smaller?

Also, would this be a good substitute to Maracyn I and II?

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+4833&pcatid=4833

#10 ·
what are good medications to have on-hand at all times?

We all dread the day that our betta becomes sick and we can't find the medication for it. So, i'm about to place another order with foster and smith aquatics to get that cute little filter recommended to me...

( https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+9821&pcatid=9821 )

and i wanted to pick up a couple medications as well just in case my little boy betta does become sick. Thoughts? :eek:
i treated about 5 fishes with tetracycline mix togather with fungus eliminator by jungle + aquarium salt. I found out about this medications mix from fish guy at local pet store.

1.2 years ago i treated betta with tail rot . Fish completely recovered. He got rot 2 times though.when iwas treating him i used medications longer than one cycle.

I also treated fish with ''columnaris'' + the same medications. Fish completely recovered.it was september/2009.

Also i treated betta wiht other symptoms with the same medications and it's helped.

Tetracycline u can find in any pet store . fungus eliminator not every store has it. My store just ordered it for me,and then they put it on their shelves.

it is very good mix and i recommended it to all betta holders.

#11 ·
i treated about 5 fishes with tetracycline mix togather with fungus eliminator by jungle + aquarium salt. I found out about this medications mix from fish guy at local pet store.

1.2 years ago i treated betta with tail rot . Fish completely recovered. He got rot 2 times though.when iwas treating him i used medications longer than one cycle.

I also treated fish with ''columnaris'' + the same medications. Fish completely recovered.it was september/2009.

Also i treated betta wiht other symptoms with the same medications and it's helped.

Tetracycline u can find in any pet store . fungus eliminator not every store has it. My store just ordered it for me,and then they put it on their shelves.

it is very good mix and i recommended it to all betta holders.
How do you make the mix? can you include instructions?

or do you just mix the recommended dosages together in the tank?

Are you talking about the jungle fungus fizzy tabs?

I'm asking because Genie still hasn't healed. =[ Either I've made him immune to my current process or he's a secret tail-biter. =/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.