Betta Fish Forum banner

Woo! Spawning! -My spawn Log- First timers. :) -Heavy pic load-

5K views 66 replies 13 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Last night we all went to bed, and I put Pride (the female) under her glass so she wouldnt get revenge in the middle of night. I let them out this morning around 9am aaaannnnnd...

They are now spawning! I am pretty excited. I took some video and PICS! They have actuallly been spawning for an hour and a half now.

Here are the best ones I got so far. -How long does spawning go on for? I dont take her out till he is trying to kill her right?-

Helping eachother out. Awwwh!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats.....awesome to watch the spawning act..isn't it......spawning time can vary from an hour to 8-10 hours....I had some spawn longer...they just didn't want to stop....lol.......when they are done...the female will leave the nest area and if she tries to return he will chase her away......and sometimes the male will run her off...this varies too...just like every other part of spawning......

#4 ·
Thanks, and yes it was amazing! Everything about these fish is great! I wish I would have gotten into it earlier lol.

Going to start my BBS hatchery once I see the tails wiggling from the nest. I cant wait till tomorrow so I can see if any actually took.

Watching them fall from Pride to the floor was so neat!! I thought sometimes that they were eating them, but didnt try to intervien. I will be happy even if I get 1 lol... Or none... the experience alone was worth the time. And I can try again next time.

Also thinking about getting some HM's. I really love rosetail and feathertail. I wonder if there is any on aquabid...

Anyways. Cant wait to see what happens next! Going to take Pride out of the tank if she isnt back with him in the next hour. She is staying in hiding and came back to the nest to look for eggs on the bottom and he spotted her and chased her off.

#7 ·
It can be deceiving sometimes...you may have a lot more than you think and they don't all hatch at the same time either.......they usually hatch over several hours based on when they had been dropped....he will eat some and you want him too...a good male will eat the infertile, weak, deformed, sick...etc so that they don't cause problems for the healthy ones......he only want to strong and healthy to survive........

Usually at 80F you will start to see tails in about 24-32h....I wouldn't start the hatchery just yet....you only want to feed BBS with the yolk sac intact for the first 2 weeks at least for the most nutrition...once the BBS hatch you have about 24-32h before they absorb their yolk sac and shed their first shell and the Betta fry won't be ready for any food for about 3 days after they hatch-they will feed off their yolk sac and if you had live plants and common snails in the spawning tank you will have some infusoria/microorganism too that the Betta fry will feed on.....

#8 ·
I cant wait to see either! Will be fun :)

Ah okay! Thanks for that info I wont start the BBS for a few days then? When exactly do I want to put food in for them? I was going to do BBS and egg yolk. No live plants in there sadly... For any future spawns there will be live plants.

Also... I took the female out... I would say they did more then I thought!!! lol...He likes this spot more, out of all the space he has. Whatever floats your eggs buddy!

#11 ·
Thanks OFL :) I just read this article on Rosetails/Feathertails. I didnt know this about them.
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABRosetails.htm

Good article. Will post more pics tomorrow! About the tempature in the water. I cannot for the life of me get it over 76 degrees. I'm now covering the whole tank with a towel, I have two bulbs in there that are helping. The heater is just not doing its job efficeintly enough.

Hope its okay at 76? What will happen?

#12 ·
I have had eggs hatch at much lower temps than that...it just take a bit longer and you have higher risk of fungus.....but I am talking about in the 60F range....76F they may be fine...especially if that is the temp they have always been at and spawned in.....
Try covering the top of the tank with plastic veggie wrap.....

#13 ·
I have had eggs hatch at much lower temps than that...it just take a bit longer and you have higher risk of fungus.....but I am talking about in the 60F range....76F they may be fine...especially if that is the temp they have always been at and spawned in.....
Try covering the top of the tank with plastic veggie wrap.....
+1

#14 ·
Emergency Tank Move

Yesterday I had to clear my room due to flying ants everywhere. The room needed to be cleared out and sprayed with posions. And no way I was leaving my guys in there, so I took the risk and got the spawn tank out, eggs and daddy still inside for the move.

Due to some impossible to get around sploshing of water, we lost a few eggs and the nest was everywhere. Luckily, I left Bubblegum to his job and he collected every single stray egg in the whole tank and placed them directly under the bubblewrap nest thing I put in there.

He was FRANTIC looking for all his eggs and scooping tons at a time into his little mouth. It was very sad and I felt just horrible for him.

I hope it didnt hurt the eggs.

Here is the pic of his hurried work and collection of every egg he could find. What a good dad.

#15 ·
You take awesome pics...what kind of camera do you use....dang I wish I could get shots like that......

He is a good daddy......hopefully it won't stress him to the point of eating all his eggs to protect them.....but you had to do what you had to do and moving him due to poison use was the right move..IMO.....

#17 ·
My camera is a Kodak Easyshare Z950. I got it last year on amazon for $140. Its somtimes slow on getting back after taking a pic, but the quality of the pics overrides the wait time for me. Some people hate that, but all the reviews told me that too lol. Its a great camera. I love it. I've taken tons of beautiful photos of everything with it. Worth the money for sure.

He is tending this nest like nothing else in the world matters. I did try to feed him, but he refused the food and ignored it so I sucked it back out with the baster along with some crud on the bottom of the tank.

I don't do water changes till they are free swiming and I can remove the bubble wrap nest right? Otherwise I cant help the nest from moving or flinging eggs everywhere.

Its not dirty, but I worry. :)

I keep looking and watching the eggs, waiting for any signs of life lol... nothing yet.

#20 · (Edited)
My camera is a Kodak Easyshare Z950. I got it last year on amazon for $140. Its somtimes slow on getting back after taking a pic, but the quality of the pics overrides the wait time for me. Some people hate that, but all the reviews told me that too lol. Its a great camera. I love it. I've taken tons of beautiful photos of everything with it. Worth the money for sure.
What do you mean by "sometimes slow getting back after taking a pic"...got a link to this camera...thats a good price....

Is this it.....
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B002IVVD8C

#18 · (Edited)
I think you can make infusoria using banana peel... I saw a video about it from a member on here.... If I can find it again I'll post it for you! =]

I actually just discovered this! :D

Hope it helps. (the banana peel may cause too much of a water quality problem though I'm not an expert. I don't breed but I do try and search info when people need it. =])

Oh and of course use water conditioner in the jars. =] They didn't mention that. I mean I guess it could be left unsaid but just to be careful I thought I'd add that. =]

Oh man!!! D: I forgot to say this:

CONGRATS ON THE SPAWN!!!!! :D They'll most likely look beautiful! =] hope you get a couple out of it! =] I have faith in you! *cheers*

#22 ·
In reguards to the camera, Yep that's the one. :) And what I mean is after you click and take a picture the recovery time to take the next one is not instant. You have to wait a second a two and if you take 4 in a row really fast it takes awhile -30sec+- to recover so you can take more.

But it does take great pics! :)

About the eggs and Bubblegum. I am feeling a little worried. He looks a little bloated but I am not sure why. I offer bits of food and he wont eat. I think that is because he is too busy tending the nest. Would he be bloated from eating eggs? Any idea... Here is his current look today. You can tell by comparison to all my other pics that he looks rounded and paler on his tummy now then he did on spawn day and before.

Any help is appreciated. I dont want him to die. :( Also he sometimes nudges up into the eggs really hard making some fall out, he catches them and puts them back. Is that normal behaviour?

#23 ·
he may be eating the eggs, or he may have eaten the food you put in. check if it is still there. but he might be eating the eggs. when males tending to a nest they eat the eggs to protect them which actually doesnt protect them. so when you moved the tank he may have eaten them. hope that he didnt.

#24 ·
There is still a ton of eggs under there. He isnt eating any food I give. My computer is right next to his tank so I can watch him now 24/7 since we have moved to the dining room table.

Ugh. Lets hope its JUST egg eating. I would rather him eat some eggs to clean it up then to die on me. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.