Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #31 
veilmist

My dad and my cat get along famously even though he is allergic to cats, however she doesn't seem to make his allergies flare up. My cat is long hair and sheds moderately so really you just have to match the cat to the human... Sometimes it doesn't work out, sometimes it does. I hope this helps but vacuuming often will help A LOT!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #32 
carbonxxkidd

My mom is really really allergic to cats, but only has a reaction from one of my cats. She is convinced Ganymede (see pic below, sorry it's huge, pics of my other cat in my albums) is a siberian cat and that is why he doesn't bother her allergies. I always thought that long-haired cats would make allergies worse...guess not, lol. I got both of my cats from shelters though, so I have no idea what breed he actually is. I have also heard of people regularly bathing their cats to keep dander down. If you can get an air purifier with a HEPA filter that can help too and make sure to keep your house vacuumed! I have also heard of people becoming immune from spending lots of time around cats. One of my friends had to dope herself up with benedryl whenever she went somewhere with cats but now she has 3 of her own and doesn't have to take allergy meds anymore. Definitely have a plan if you do adopt a cat, you don't want to give it a good home only to give it away shortly after...

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #33 
veilmist

Carbon: What a beautiful cat you have!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #34 
Skyewillow

Not all shorthairs are shedders, but it IS pretty common. Someone my sister knows gives her cats this enzyme that eases things for HER allergies. I don't know what it's called, but maybe once you've established a relationship with a vet, they may be able to help you.

I have two shorthaired boys, and I think my tabby sheds a lot more than my black cat does. I don't know if I'm just not noticing it because of the color or what though.

OH, and an interesting little fact is that black cats/dogs suffer from lower adoption rates because of their color. People still think that black cats are bad luck, but I've always found them to be the most friendly, and loving cats of all the colors. If I have cats, I will always have at least one black one. :)

Good luck in your search, and figuring out how to make it easy on your dad.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #35 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilmist View Post
Carbon: What a beautiful cat you have!
Aww, thanks

Also +1 on the comment about black cats. Many black cats and dogs get euthanized in shelters before they're even shown to the public because there are SO MANY. Every black dog or cat I've ever met has been amazing!

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allergies, cats, hypoallergenic, shorthair