Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#2,800 ·
Thanks so much. I floated her with each one of them and it wasn't pretty. I don't want to risk her. I put her in the 10g with a lace catfish, another kind of catfish, that I keep forgetting the name of, is a cory a catfish? and 3 glofish. She's doing well, she seems friendly, I'm more worried about the glofish nipping her than her getting them. She seems to love the lace catfish and he, her. Do these guys seem likely mates to you? I really dislike the glofish, wish I wouldn't have purchased them, they just look schizofrenic to me, not relaxing at all, but I'm a "pet for life" kinda girl. Thanks again. I read your answers all the time and your advice has really helped me. Glad you're out there for us newbies.

#2,801 ·
Your welcome. Yes, it's called a Cory Catfish. They do well in groups, great for 10 gallons, etc etc. I suggest to move the Glofish since, they're Zebra Danios too and need more space than a 10 gallon. Do you mean the female Betta and the catfish? They can't be mates, one species can't breed to another species so to speak. Oh, and I'm glad to help so feel free to ask a question if necessary. :)

#2,813 ·
Oh yeah, I meant mates as in buds. Sorry. And yes, I am moving the glofish to a 50 gallon tank, at my sisters house!!!! hahaha Camille, the female betta is doing lovely with the catfish, I swear she's in love with the lace catfish, his name is Eric, by the way. Thanks again for all of the advice!

#2,805 ·
I know this is highly contested, but are weekly 100% changes too much for an uncycled 2.5gal? I've been told I should be doing smaller, more frequent changes instead of one big one.

#2,807 ·
"As much as I can without removing the fish"
How much would that be? I have gravel siphon that I usually use to clean the gravel, but I'm afraid I'd suck her up in it O_O

#2,808 ·
Usually enough water for the fish to swim in. I actually have a planted tank... so I really dont vacuum or have ever changed all of the water >.< most I'd change is about 50%. Now I do less than 25, because I dont want to agitate the Shrimps with a change in water chemistry...

#2,809 ·
Ahhh, ok. That makes sense.

#2,810 ·
I just got a 5.5 tank for my one betta who is in a 1 gallon. The heater I have is only rated for 5 gallons. Will my heater be okay for this new tank or should I get another? Thanks :)

#2,812 ·
I answered my own question. I can swap heaters with Dumbledore and Jonah. Thanks though :)

#2,815 ·
Ok, so now, I've gone completely crazy. I now have 5 bettas. 1 female and 4 males. The female is in a community tank and doing well. The males are all in seperate 2.5 gallon tanks. It seems that 3 of them might have a touch of fin rot. I've done the salt thing. It seems to keep it from getting worse, but they don't seem to be getting better. Their tales kinda look like a broom. What's my next step. Thanks in advance.

#2,817 ·
It may be them biting.. what you are wanting to look for are edges that are blackish and seem to be flaking off. If the edges seem clean cut then I would assume it is either biting, filters too strong, or pointy plants.
Unsure how much AQ salt you have been using, and how you have been using it.. so can't recommend anything just yet other then to make sure to stay on top of the water changes. Any chance for pictures of them?

#2,818 ·
I've been using 1/2 tsp AQ, but only doing changes every 3rd day. The dark blue one with red and the light blue with red one have dark edges, the brown one, his edges look kinda whiteish, but he doesn't look like a broom. I am kind of computer ignorant, but will take some pics now and have them on by tomorrow. Should I do 100% everyday. Like I said, it's not getting worse, but not better either. And it could very well be nothing. I'm just learning. I probably shouldn't have so many, but 2 were rescues from Walmart, the lady working there said they were going back to the breeder and they would kill them, so here I am. The current on the filter is nothing at all. The current in the females tank is pretty strong, but she does well with it. She's big, fat and health. Thanks again for all the help. I am so in love with the little guys.

#2,821 ·
It's fine, don't worry. Even if you're not sure what you're doing, they're still better off with you than being euthanized.
The one with blacker edges may have fin rot, but if the other one has whitish edges, it was probably an injury from the filter, biting, etc.
I would up the dose of AQ salt to at least 1tsp per gallon and do 100% or 50% changes every day. Using API Stress Coat should also help speed healing.
Are they eating and swimming around normally or are they lethargic?

#2,820 ·
I also use the .5mm Small Fish Formula (the range of NLS foods here is rather limited) on my fry and they have no problems with it. My current fry are around 2cm long (an inch) and they have just started on it.

I like NLS food as they have good quality ingredients, and a lower fat content then some other brands.

#2,822 ·
Be careful though... you have already been exposing them to AQ salt for some time. They should not be in it for more then 10 days, 14 days very maximum. So if they have been in the salt for that long you need to remove them from it and keep them out of it for 1-2 weeks to get it out of their system. Even though it has been a small amount, it's still a lot for a betta.

If you are under the 10 day mark, as mentioned up the dose to 1tsp per gallon, and daily 100% water changes.. it's the clean water that is going to help speed things up, that is why it's important to do daily 100% water changes when using AQ salt.

Good luck!

#2,823 ·
I've been doing the AQ for probably 7 or 8 days, so maybe just a couple more days. I will up the dose, and I did change their water last night, will do again tonight. I really appreciate everyones help. I'm so addicted to the little guys. They are swimming, jumping for their food if I want them to, flaring when they get glimpses of each other, building away at bubblenests, they seem to be healthy. I can't even imagine exactly "how" they would euthanize them! Am going to have my IT husband help me put up some pics tonight. I am now thinking the only one that actually looks that bad is the blue one (handsome bob,) if I had to describe him, I would say he just looks "raggly." Thanks again so much to all.

#2,824 ·
ive purchased a new betta today to replace my DTHM. its colours are halloween themed ie brown blue body and bright orange fins with a smkoy grey finish. there are some green highlights in the tails also. the tails are the problem its a DT and his fins are huge. i saw him sitting on his fins today in the shop and hes in a similar position on the 1g QT. he doesnt swim much but he's only been in the 1g for 4-5 hours. would this current position (ie sitting on tail against the gravel) be a sign his fins are too heavy? he doesnt seem to be struggling to swim but they might be a bit on the heavy side.

#2,825 ·
hello all.

I bought a dropper and I have the seachem prime conditioner and this one doesn't indicate how much drops should I add for a 1 gallon. Does anyone know?

and can someone please recommend me a good heater from Petsmart?
I have a 2.75 gallon tank and I can't buy heaters online.

Please and Thanks!

#2,826 ·
It's usually 2 drops per gallon since Prime is really concentrated. What about a Marina Betta Heater? I heard it's a little good. Get an adjustable heater if you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.