Betta Fish Forum banner

Bad luck follows me....

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Pewmew 
#1 ·
So, I have my betta for like 6 months now, and before that, we only had a few guppies. In the petstore, they told me Bettas are almost care-needless. And for past 6 months, it seemed like they are. But, I've bought new gravel for him. And it begun... First, he started swimming on his side - so I googled and found out 'bout swim bladder disease. They were writing everywhere how great pea works. So I left him on a diet for three days and then gave him the pea. And now it's like third day since I gave him the pea and his poop seems like it 'hangs' or whatever attached to his belly. And I don't know whether he has parasites or it's just a reaction to the pea....

#2 ·
We kinda don't suggest the pea solution here. We do fasting for a few days, then 1-2tsp of epsom salts per gallon if that doesn't work. I own many types of fish, and Bettas have been the hardest to take care of! Silly pet stores, always out for the all mighty buck!

#4 ·
That's ok! Lots still use it, I've been told by breeders to use it before I came here.

The long poop sounds like he might have something wrong internally. I really don't know what to tell you about that, but maybe do a search on here for internal parasites and what meds to use.

#6 ·
So, I'm kinda lazy... :/ please don't judge me from what you'll read right now I really didn't know bettas are that difficult to take care....
Here's the info:
I don't have any aeration in my tank, neither filter and it's not heated. I feed my betta with those pre-made flakes once a day. I change my water twice a week - once 50% and once 100%. I add to the water something called Betta plus (I got it in pack with my tank). And I have my fish for 7 months now... I have no idea how long have he been in the shop...

#7 ·
Whats the size of your tank?

My advice? Change the water a little more often (although it sounds like you've been doing a good job with the water changes). Also pellets are a much better food for bettas over flakes. What stores do you have around you? If you can find food like New Life Spectrum or Atinsons that would be great. You can also get foods like HBH betta bites, Omega One Betta pellets, Topfin, etc. As long as its formulated for bettas and is in a pellet form it should do the trick.

Do you know what the temp of your tank is? Maybe a ball park figure. Being too cold can cause lethargy and can cause fish to become susceptible to illness.

I would add epsom salt for a week to see what happens. I'd like to know your tank size so I can estimate the amount of salt you should add. A teaspoon never hurts to start out with.

#9 ·
flakes are fine, its just the dang bloodworms and brine shrimp, you know, "rich foods" and TWICE A WEEK?! i feed mine twice a day, bloodworms on Tuesdays.... but it's fine, they can live a week without food, but i don't recommend it...

#13 ·
No one really recommends flakes...they make the fish more prone to bloating- since flakes are usually a herbivore-based diet food (and bettas are carnivores only).

Brine shrimp and bloodworms shouldn't really make a betta bloat either...unless fed like...religiously or something :/

Anywho- The pea trick is also for constipation and bloating, not necessarily a swim bladder issue. For that you want to use epsom salts. :3

Bettas could technically live without food for months...buuttt...yeah. :<

But yeah, Sakura's to the rescue!~ :DD

#10 ·
Hi Wany and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about the pea. Some people are adamantly against it, some say it's okay. I don't think it does any harm as long as it is prepared right and fed only once in a very small amount (no larger than a pellet of food). If you choose to use the pea method again, be sure to use NO SALT ADDED peas. However, a much better alternative is frozen daphnia or frozen brine shrimp.

The reason you want to use a pea or epsom salt treatment is not to treat swim bladder disease/disorder but to treat constipation. When a betta gets constipation the, er, matter builds up and pushes against his swimbladder so he can't control it. The fiber in peas acts as a laxative and epsom salt is also a laxative solution (even humans can use it as such, but it's disgusting to drink).

Can you describe the color of his poo? Is it clear or whitish? It's not uncommon for poos to hang there for a long time. Disgusting but common.

How big is his tank? If it is over 1 gallon, you may want to treat him in a small QT container. I will go on the assumption that you are moving him into a separate QT container but the dosage remains the same if he stays in his tank, 1 tsp per gallon. You are going to want to do an epsom salt treatment. In a separate container, mix up 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and 1 tsp of epsom salt. Let the salt dissolve, then fill his QT container with that. Save the rest of the epsom salt water. For the next five days, do daily water changes and redo the salt. If he doesn't appear to be getting better, up the dosage to 2 tsp per gallon and continue for another 5 days. If he has not improved by then, post back and we'll see if he needs medical treatment.

Your tank is fine without a filter or aeration, but it does need a heater. Bettas need warm water to stay at their healthiest, about 78-80 degrees. You're also doing a great water change schedule as long as the tank isn't under 1 gallon, please keep it up.

In the future, don't listen to anything your pet store tells you about bettas. Chances are it isn't true. While bettas are really quite easy care, they do require more care than they tell you at the pet store. The pet stores would have you believe you can toss a betta into a tiny vase and it will live off the plant roots in there. NOT TRUE. If kept in clean, heated water, bettas are very easy care and also wonderful, personable pets.

#11 · (Edited)
My tank is 1 gallon and the poo is more whitish i think... But he seems to be getting better cuz today I noticed that he started doing those little bubbles on the surface of water and as I read they do that when they're happy and I think that he wouldn't be happy if he was that sick. :) So I'll do what you've told me and we'll see :)
Thanks

#14 ·
Thaks for everything guys, but I have one last question - the epsom salt - it translates to my native language like two things(first I thought it was just some special salt but then I put it into translator) - one is something like 'bitter salt' and the other is just a constipation medication you can buy at pharmacies... So which one is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.