Betta Fish Forum banner

Swimming Beneath The Rainbow Bridge

54K views 204 replies 160 participants last post by  LuvMyB8ta 
#1 ·
(Maybe this can be made a sticky?)

Every day, in aquariums, pet stores, and private homes, fish pass away, often times largely unnoticed. Many suffered in their last days or hours, grappling with disease, being attacked by tankmates, or having their bodies trapped against filters when they grew too weak to swim. So few fish have lived well on this earth, being used as decorations or disposable pets instead of being recognized as the special individuals that each of them are.

Thankfully for them, there is a better place.

We've all heard about the Rainbow Bridge, where dogs and cats and other pets cross over into the next life, where they run and play healthy and whole until their special person comes to retrieve them one day. What most people do not know is that there is a beautiful, flowing creek running under the Rainbow Bridge, leading to many vast lakes, swamps, rivers, and even oceans, where fish can live in bliss and harmony after what is all too often a short life of suffering.

You see, when a fish passes away, his spirit leaves the pain of his body and enters warm, flowing waters. There, he finds himself whole; tattered fins are restored, fungus-clogged gills are free and functional, open wounds are healed, and "pinecone" scales lay flat. There are other fish there, but none of them chase, nip fins, or threaten. The current is never too strong, the water temperature is always just right, and there and plants and rocks to hide amongst - not that there is anything to fear. Social fish swim close with their peers, while solitary species always have enough space for comfort. They all travel through these peaceful waters in one great school towards their destination.

Eventually, the waters of the creek are illuminated with the technicolor glow of the beautiful rainbow arching high above. Cats, dogs, rabbits - every animal you can imagine - cavorts above them, but the fish needn't fear predation or harm. As they flow beneath the rainbow, they come to a crossroads; little streams leading to the ideal habitat of each species. There are warm stretches of rice paddies for the bettas. There are cool, vegetated ponds for the goldfish and koi. Bright, welcoming reefs greet the oceanic fish, and warm, freshwater ponds, rivers, and creeks spread wide for the tropical species.

The fish huddle at the cross-roads tentatively, nervous of what awaits them next. Maybe some are unused to wide spaces; others have never seen their natural habitat. Some are afraid larger fish will eat them if they break away from the group. But finally, one will swim forwards. His fins will wriggle with excitement, and he will zip through the water gleefully, towards his new home in the next life. There, he will find others of his kind, though a fight will never occur. Food will be plentiful and living, not freeze-dried or pelleted. There will be no harsh lights or noisy filters, because the waters here are always ideal for their inhabitants.

And perhaps, if the fish had a special someone who cared in their life, that person will one day sit by the lake or shore or riverbed, where he or she will be recognized by a beloved pet. A flick of the fins and a friendly snout poking through the water's surface will reunite the two at last, with the message passed between them:

It's all going to be okay now...

~ Author Unknown

See less See more
#5 ·
i almost cried reading this its lovely

#6 ·
I have avoided this section of the forum because I am too emotional and I do not want to spend my day crying. Thought I would give it a try and this is the first thread I came across. I am really glad I did! That was so beautiful and I know it will bring comfort to those who lost their beloved pets. Thank you for posting that fleetfish and I agree it should be a sticky

Reactions: TropicalFlow3
#7 ·
I sometimes stop and think about all the animals I have cared for that have passed away. It is wonderful to think of being surrounded by all of my pets. Not only because I have not see them for years. But to see them all together...That would be so amazing. I really hope it is real. And if it is, I look forward to that day. :)

#8 ·
Waugh I'm crying at work now, this is so beautiful ;A;

I agree that pets with amazing owners have blessed lives...but also the owners with amazing pets also have blessed lives.

After rescuing my first two goldfish from school, and rescuing two more... I don't know where I would be today without them. One day guys, I'll come and visit you, please wait for me!

#10 ·
This was just so beautiful and touching. After reading it I began to weap not only for Kaida and Kalona but for all the goldfish and my past dogs and cat. I loved them all even the ones I had never met. I miss them so much. This really is touching and so beautiful.

#11 ·
AH! I'm crying!! :( It's soo sad, but it's soo happy.
It's making me think of my babies... Jimmy. Barney. Engine..... The hours I spent on my bed, hugging an empty fish bowl... :(
And then my ten now. I now the day will come, as any mother will agree.
No parent should have to lose a child. And these little snout mouthed, long tailed, gilled fools are my babies.
Awww......

#12 ·
The end made me cry really hard... That is just really beautiful, I love fish, because even though most people don't see them as that big of a deal, and they don't live too long, I guess I'm a sucker for the under dogs...

#15 ·
So beautiful and heart warming! It made me think of all my past Bettas and my little Cirrus, who passed on this weekend. :cry:
Oh Cirrus, Dog-Fish, Bubbles, Speedy, Tangerine, and every other Betta I have kept and named, I miss you all...

#18 ·
original rainbow bridge w/911 version

hello everyone after that beautiful fish version I thought ide share the original version of rainbow bridge and then the heart breaking 911 version it may be a sad read but I think its something we should all see :cry:

Rainbow Bridge!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

911 at the rainbow bridge :cry:

On the morning of September 11, 2001, there was an unprecedented amount of activity at the Rainbow Bridge. Decisions had to be made. They had to be made quickly. And, they were.
An issue, not often addressed here, is the fact that many residents really have no loved one for whom to wait. Think of the pups who lived and died in hideous puppy mills. No one on earth loved or protected them. What about the many who spent unhappy lives tied in backyards? And, the ones who were abused. Who are they to wait for?
We don't talk about that much up here. We share our loved ones as they arrive, happy to do so. But we all know there is nothing like having your very own person who thinks you are the most special pup in the Heavens.
Last Tuesday morning a request rang out for pups not waiting for specific persons to volunteer for special assignment. An eager, curious crowd surged excitedly forward, each pup wondering what the assignment would be.
They were told by a solemn voice that unexpectedly, all at once, over 6,000 loving people had left Earth long before they were ready. All the pups, as all pups do, felt the humans' pain deep in their own hearts. Without hearing more, there was a clamoring among them - "May I have one to comfort?" "I'll take two, I have a big heart." "I have been saving kisses forever."
One after another they came forward begging for assignment. One cozy-looking fluffy pup hesitantly asked, "Are there any children coming? I would be very comforting for a child 'cause I'm soft and squishy and I always wanted to be hugged." A group of Dalmatians came forward asking to meet the Firemen and be their friends. The larger working breeds offered to greet the Police Officers and make them feel at home. Little dogs volunteered to do what they do best, cuddle and kiss. Father Mike got a special little Yorkie for his very own. It was difficult to determine who was comforting whom the joy was so complete!
Dogs who on Earth had never had a kind word or a pat on the head, stepped forward and said, "I will love any human who needs love."
Then all the dogs, wherever on Earth they originally came from, rushed to the Rainbow Bridge and stood waiting, overflowing with love to share - each tail wagging an American Flag.

#19 ·
There's only one word to describe this post. Beautiful. I hope that when it's time for Luka to pass that she'll strive under the rainbow bridge with others of her kind. There's no death, slavery, or bad treatment along the rainbow bridge and it makes me happy to see a place untouched by those who wish to dominate. Others think I'm crazy when I talk about this beautiful place, but I know deep inside my heart that it exists and that every animal that's passed in my care will be waiting for me to arrive ready to love and those fish who've died from my own human stupidity will forgive me as I have a second chance to give them proper love.

#25 ·
So beautiful. :)

I believe in heaven, where I will see my friends and family, and I don't see why our pets won't be there too. Morbid as it may sound, I look forward to the day that I will be able to see my old pets and family members again, and eventually my friends will be there with me too. :)