Betta Fish Forum banner

First Fish Frightened

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sainthogan 
#1 ·
This is my first time having a fish and he did alright for a while, but suddenly, he doesn't eat as much and is terrified of me. He's been in the same 1/2 gallon tank since i've had him (one month), he has a place to hide, I do water changes at least once a week, he has a heater, i put a mirror in there occasionally to make him happy. But now he's hiding behind his log any time i come near him. What's his deal?

#4 ·
68 is too cold. Betta fish are tropical fish. They need their water to be between 76-82F. Do you have a heater?

He may be ill. Cold tanks increase the likelihood of illness, because it increases the stress on the fishes body.

He may also be depressed. .5g is really small. Think of living your life in a small room. It would get boring after a month. Most recommend 1 g as the minimum for Betta fish to be happy and healthy. I have a personal 2.5g minimum, and some even have higher personal minimums.

It could also be a combo of both, or it might be something else. Although, a heater really is important, and if you can I would upgrade to a bigger tank.

#5 ·
He's probably not feeling well. For a tank that size, you need to be changing the water at least 3 times a week. You also need a heater, they are tropical fish and need a minimum of 76 degrees. Cold water and not enough water changes are a prime breeding ground for parasites and other harmful bacteria.

Reactions: Hallyx
#6 ·
My poor Wally lived for a year in a one-gallon bowl with no heater due to my ignorance of his needs. Now he has a 2.5 gallon, heated tank (and so do his recently-acquired siblings, each in his/her own tank) and you would NOT believe the difference in him. He darts and swims and has even flared for me a few times and just seems SO much happier and energetic.

#7 ·
In my experience, poor water conditions and unsuitable temperature can cause fish to become stressed and lead to skittish behaviour. I often know when my fish are sick because they start to hide a lot more often.

As mentioned above, 68 degrees is much too cold for a betta. You ideally want to aim for a consistent temperature of at least 75 degrees or higher.

If your water quality is not good and temperature is too low, you are leaving your betta vulnerable to infection by disease or parasites, as his immune system is most likely compromised.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.