Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #1211 
missavgp

They are really cute, and right from the first day we get to see them. They are always out wondering what I am doing (usually hoping I'm giving them food).

Those are some beautiful fish! I love that bright red. good luck with them.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #1212 
missavgp

So I'm waiting to hear back from a seller on AB as I won the auction for two pairs of betta rubra.

Does anyone have any advice on their care and potential breeding?

I am setting up a new tank for them (using a cycled filter) and have driftwood to make some caves and will be planting it. Not sure what to go with for a substrate this time as I usually do a dirt tank, though I am still considering it and using fluval stratum as a cap instead of sand (this is what I have in my Albi tank). I do know that they prefer more acidic water (the ph of most of my tanks is 6.8-7.2) so I was going to put peat in a filter media bag and put it in the filter to soften the water and lower the ph more.
Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #1213 
LittleBettaFish

I haven't kept rubra, but I really like ADA aquasoil for my wild betta tanks. Malaya or Africana are best as they will help lower the pH and release very little ammonia compared to Amazonia. There are also other brands of soil such as Up Aqua and Fluval Stratum that might be easier for you to get your hands on, and cheaper.

If you plan on lowering your pH too much, you are most likely going to lose your cycle. I never bother cycling any of my wild betta tanks. I find they have a pretty low bioload and my live plants take care of any ammonia.

I think apart from a handful of species, most wild bettas prefer similar set-ups. Slightly soft/acidic to neutral water, plenty of cover, dark water, dim lighting, and lots of live or frozen foods. I think most mouthbrooders are fairly easy to induce to spawn based on my own experiences/what I've read.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #1214 
missavgp

ugh, now I'm frustrated. He got back to me, but doesn't want to give me an invoice so that I can bring them across the border, something that is legal and I have done before. This is after he said before I won the auction that it wasn't a problem to ship them there for me to pick up and bring across. I had even sent him the regulation from the Canadian Justice Laws website for what needed to be on there.

Even aside from the border crossing, I won't buy anything and get it shipped without an invoice. I expected to be receiving one anyway.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #1215 
evilone

Just starting to keep the Channoides ,

evilone is offline   Reply With Quote