Betta Fish Forum banner

Aquarium heater says submersible but has a max. water line....?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shellieca 
#1 ·
I was seeing people totally submersing their heaters. So it got me thinking. I have a variety of Hagen Elite heaters that were on clearance at petsmart for new stock. I bought a 300w, 200w, 100w and a couple 50w. The package says submersible but the heater itself has a min. water line and max. water line. How are they submersible if they have a max water line?.....

#2 ·
A max? I know most submersibles have a minimum water line because not all tanks are as deep as the heaters. The heater should be placed in the water at least as deep as the min line to keep it from burning out. Even fully submersibles can have the top left uncovered. But I have no idea why it would have a max. Can you get a picture of the heater or link to the product? It might not be a fully submersible? I'm just not sure about that one without more info.

#6 ·
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters

It's completely submersible, just make sure to keep the water below that line to keep it from "cracking" from overheating.

150W heater should be more than sufficient for your 30G.
I have a 300w for that 30 gallon. Petsmart just didnt have a link for the 300w one. Im confused on what completely submersible means. A max water line means the water line cannot go higher then that point? By totally submersible I mean I want to put or horizontally along the bottom of my tank.

#8 ·
Not all heaters a FULLY submersible. I would not risk fully submerging a heater that does not specifically say its COMPLETELY submersible & based on the pic you posted, yours does not say this. The max water line means no water above that line, I have one that says this & I keep it vertical, but I do that with all of my heaters because its easier to adjust the temp when need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.