Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta and guppy fry

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Chicklet 
#1 ·
I have a 3/4 month old male VT that is in a 10 gal. tank. In another 10 gal. tank I have two pairs of guppies. Yesterday, one of the guppy females gave birth. This afternoon I put one of the guppy fry in for the betta who has been doing his best to catch it, but that bugger is FAST!!!

I am assuming this is ok since the hunting of live food is a natural behavior. Am I correct?

#2 ·
As long as you don't care if the baby guppy gets eaten, it's fine. I have a few female guppies in with one of my female bettas--they get along perfectly fine.

#5 ·
Actually I've ready guppy fry is AWESOME for betta. Like nutrient wise :) I've purposely when I was completely overrun with guppy fry, put some in both male and females tanks. It takes them a while but trust be, they ate them :) Haha

#8 · (Edited)
Kingsnakes eat other snakes so I don't see a problem. Thank goodness in captivity they've been weened to mice, I could never feed a reptile a reptile. :S

1fish2fish said something about a breeder who only fed his fry pellets, and if they wouldn't eat it they died. IMO this is tough love and is what I'd do. I want to breed guppies now for something to occupy my bettas with, as I can't afford a culture of worms.

#10 ·
Right, in the wild a person isn't there to remove the female lol. If the females and males never ate any of the eggs or fry, the wild would be overrun with bettas to the point they'd be a nuissance.

#14 ·
I had a male betta awhile back that would eat nothing but young fry & he did good , caught every one, never stopped hunting till they were gone.

So later on I tried dropping fry in with some of my other males,
It got to where I THOUGHT the fry had been eaten to only see it pop out one day ALOT bigger,

I move things around here all the time, I have sororities of just females and then I have tanks with young guppy fry, adult guppies and their fry and I pretty much always have between 1 and 3 or so depending on the female bettas or 1 single male betta (sometimes a pr) in with most of my tank. None of mine will look sideways at a fry.

I bought a big female type of Cichlid, was told she'd eat my cull fry for me, Well that was a bust, Put a dozen fry in and pulled a dozen fry out a months later, She just sits under them watching them swim around.

Thinking about getting an oscar, maybe I'll have better luck with him eating young fry and keeping the numbers under control.

My recent bunch of betta fry are almost 2 weeks old now & Still with Dad,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.