Betta Fish Forum banner

Absolem's fins are troubling me.

524 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ChelseaK 
#1 ·
I have noticed my Multicolored VT Absolem's (Who I am trying to prepare for breeding) fins are not the same as they used to be. I went back and looked at some pictures I have of him before my move.

This is Absolem in his 1/2 gallon room temperature bowl at my old house before the move.
Sorry about the blur here...

This is Absolem maybe a month or so later in his split 10 Gallon heated tank. I've noticed that there almost seems to be a tear in the dorsal fin and the ends of almost all or his fins are almost clear.
(I took pictures on my phone so forgive the crappiness of them)

This one shows the ends of his fins a bit. His behavior is normal, but he does not flare at his reflection, however, I haven't ever seen him flare at his reflection. I put some aquarium salt in with him but I haven't done anything other than that. The dividers are smooth so nothing he could tear his fins on.

Thoughts? I've considered that maybe his fins are just growing because they are larger than in the previous pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like new growth to me....

About the non-flaring-
In the 10g divided tank-what kind of filtration are you using, any live plants, additives used, how much aquarium salt did you add, water temp and how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, how much and type of foods...do you have another Betta in the other section, if so, male or female....

#4 ·
It looks like new growth to me....

About the non-flaring-
In the 10g divided tank-what kind of filtration are you using, any live plants, additives used, how much aquarium salt did you add, water temp and how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, how much and type of foods...do you have another Betta in the other section, if so, male or female....

That's a relief about the fins!
-No filtration,
- no live plants,
- I added one tablespoon of aq salt,
- the water temperature is between 70 and 74 (I try to regulate it at 72, but the roomie and I turn down the house heat when we leave).
- It's filled about full, about an inch from the top of the tank.
-50% water change every week,
- he eats a small pinch of tropical flakes and 2 or 3 betta pellets a day, a couple bloodworms every few days as well as freeze dried brine shrimp (not very often, they don't eat it unless I mix it with flakes.) Maybe once a week or so some frozen foods.
-The betta next to him is a boy who flares at the boy next to him but doesn't seem to notice Absolem. (the tank is split in 4 sections, the 4th smaller than the others with just the heater and air stone.)

I bred Absolem once before and he wasn't super aggresive towards the female. Still aggresive, but not as much as other males I've had.

#5 ·
In a 10g unfiltered tank with 2-3 Bettas I would increase your water changes to 50% twice a week and 100% every 3 months or so.... and you need to get your water temp up a bit to at least 76F at the lowest...long term low temps can stress effecting the immune response and shorten their lifespan IME...also the older the Betta the less tolerant they tend to be with low normal range temps

I wouldn't use the salt any more that 10 days for long term kidney health...great for short term treatments...but best when done in QT so you have better control of the dosage...wrong dosage can cause resistant issues and can be ineffective for treatment (pathogen/parasites)

Quality water and correct temps can really help them look and act their best

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I have put Absolem in a 2.5 quarantine tub now. I need to invest in a better heater I think because I noticed that both of the heaters I have are being real shotty. Maybe then I'll be able to get the temperature up a bit because I have them turned up as far as they will go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.