Betta Fish Forum banner

Are crowntails/delta tails/double tails more difficult to care for?

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Seki 
#1 ·
I have only ever had veil tails.... now after seeing so many of your gorgeous fish, and also seeing some pretty cool ones at the store...I am kind of wanting to branch out... (although that fin rot guy I posted is a Veil, and he may be coming with me tomorrow, so there goes that, LOL)

Anyway, are they harder to care for at all? What is your favorite? What types have you had/have?

Thanks!:)

#3 ·
DT's are known to be more prone to Swim Bladder Disorder, because their bodies are shorter. I can definitely attest to that <_< Just make sure to soak their pellets, don't overfeed, and you should be fine. Oh, and keep epsom salt on hand just in case.

#4 ·
I've owned both a super delta and a veiltail in my life. So far I've seen no differences, other than the looks of course :3

#7 ·
My dt has been very easy to care for, I tend to pick the bettas that stand out to my eyes, just be careful about the decorations and other body type issues

#8 ·
i have a DT coming in within a week or so has there been any certain tricks to DT care?

No differences, but bigger tails mean slower, heavier fish and more of a change for the fins to be injured.

As said, CTs need more neutral water or their rays will curl.
thats a curious post you have there. my VT has curling pectoral and caudal tail. caudal is probably more to tailbiting but the pectoral isnt damage, its just curled at the edges. the PH is 7.6

#9 ·
For vts, its probably a healed injury that curled. Over time, it may unfurl.
The rays on the CT's are so prone because theres so many, but the vt's, while you can get curling, of course, is usually just a wonky ray, healed injury, or just a derp fin.

No, no real tricks or anything. Theyre prone to SBD, but that can be warded off just by pre-soaking pellets and giving a "rest/fast" day of no food in the week.

Thats it, really. I have a HMDBT and the bf has a DBT, and theyre just normal fish.

One thing that's neat, though.. The gene that makes them have two tails (mirrored tail) makes their anal fin match their dorsal, which is why its soooo long! (Ever noticed that?)
My Dbt's is giant, just as long as his anal fin, thanks to the mirroring gene :D

#17 ·
For vts, its probably a healed injury that curled. Over time, it may unfurl.
The rays on the CT's are so prone because theres so many, but the vt's, while you can get curling, of course, is usually just a wonky ray, healed injury, or just a derp fin.

No, no real tricks or anything. Theyre prone to SBD, but that can be warded off just by pre-soaking pellets and giving a "rest/fast" day of no food in the week.

Thats it, really. I have a HMDBT and the bf has a DBT, and theyre just normal fish.

One thing that's neat, though.. The gene that makes them have two tails (mirrored tail) makes their anal fin match their dorsal, which is why its soooo long! (Ever noticed that?)
My Dbt's is giant, just as long as his anal fin, thanks to the mirroring gene :D
thank you Pewpewpew. i'll keep an eye on the dorsal and hope it uncurls. looks like fealing with DTs wont be too hard after all :).

ive noticed they have long symetrical tails. thats probably one of the appeals i have for DT, other tail types are equally nice.

#10 ·
I really like crown tails especially when the flair! didnt know that about the ph...... >.> and i just tested my ph today and it was alil on the acidic side, trip to petco possible... anywho all i have ever owned are veil tails or crowntails with the exception of a hmpk and ive noticed he is alil more skittish and just can be anti-social with me but maybe thats just norbert

#14 ·
Yes, I figured the rays curling would be stress from the water? Or is it just how fins react when surrounded by high pH? I don't want to adopt someones pet only to torture it LOL But if it will only cause a cosmetic difference, I can live with that as long as he's not effected.

#21 ·
I have a dragon scale halfmoon and his fins slow him down but doesn't stop him. I made sure to get him an adjustable current filte, a heater, and SILK plants( plastics are a no no for bettas) for his ten gallon tank. When he sees me grab his food he just flares up and swims around. He is living the good life.

#23 ·
Not really, other than the PH difference for crowntails. I have had five different tail types (VT, HMPK, DeT, CT, HM) and I haven't found a real difference in their care requirements so far.

#24 ·
The only time I noticed a marked difference in care is when a fish has special needs of some sort. As far as tail-types go, the care is the same, although I do notice different behavior sometimes. My DTHM has extremely long and heavy fins, so he is a bit slower-moving than my PKs. My EEs are also slower-moving and tend to take more frequent rest breaks. Other than that, I treat 'em all the same! ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.