Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #1161 
missavgp

Thanks for all the info! I guess I made a good first choice on what I'd like to get. I think I am going to get a reverse trio after we come back from vacation. I have that 25 gallon ready and my water is pretty soft already.

I figured that my shrimp would end up looking like lunch. It's actually why they are in the growout; gives the juvies hunting experience and grows them up along with the food I am giving them. That's why it's neos not caridinas, they breed so much easier and faster.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #1162 
Warbler

I've only owned them for a few weeks, but I have found (so far) that they are fairly easy fish to keep happy. My pH is around 7.2 though hardness is low, and they haven't showed any negative effects of the relatively high pH. They also prefer cooler water (around 74/76) than splendens. There's a big heat wave hitting where I live now, and my pair always seem more colourful and active when we turn the AC on for the day and the tank is cooler. But they have gone through the high temps without any obvious signs of huge discomfort, though I wouldn't risk it in the long run.
They seem to just be hardy overall. The first week I had them I had a live food disaster and my whole colony of bloodworms died, and they had to go without food for about five days! Interestingly enough, the day I got food they decided to breed, even though they must have been fairly stressed from the move and not eating. Male swallowed the eggs, of course, but it seemed there were little repercussions.
I would remove the shrimp, however. I had shrimp in their current tank(before they were introduce) and removed most. I couldn't find one particular shrimp, however (markings were very different) and just decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I introduced the bettas, and the next day all that was left of him was the exoskeleton of his tail. But other than small shrimp they are peaceful. They were curious about the otos and the bamboo shrimp in the tank, but after a brief investigation, they have completely left them alone.
25 G should be plenty. My pair are in a ten gallon, and even then I think they would be happy in something smaller like a five gallon. They are pretty small guys, actually, but they colour up beautiful and exhibit some fascinating behaviours, both in and out of breeding. My pair, for instance, seem to be very bonded and love to occasionally swim very close to each other, almost touching. It's very cute, and I would definitely recommend a pair or a reverse trio.
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #1163 
missavgp

Thanks for all the info. I unfortunately think I have to hold off for a while as I just got the price list....and $567 each is way more than I want to spend, especially when I can import them sometimes from AB for a lot less. I priced it out cause there is a reverse trio on Ebay right now for $50 and it would cost me less to drive to the US,fly across the country and pick them up and drive back across to home than it is to buy in from this place in Canada.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #1164 
Warbler

Wow, that's crazy! I'd send you some but it seems my male refuses to hold eggs and thinks swallowing his kids is the bees knees... Hope you find some good ones. I live right by the Wet Spot and I know they have some other paired up and easily sexed albimarginatas in their tanks that they're selling on Aquabid. You could ask if they can try and send you a reverse trio.
It seems my pair like to get it on every two weeks but the male has been consistently swallowing, and today marks his third time eating rather than holding. Is there anything I can do to try and convince him to hold onto the eggs? I'm feeding blackworms pretty heavily each day. The only thing that's been off is that the temps have been getting in the 80s (Fahrenheit) during the day this week.
I did manage to get some pictures of my female. They're pretty shoddy quality, but my phone was the only thing on hand and I didn't want to bother them much. My female really colours up nicely when she's in the mood. Her tail gets this nice rusty orange and she gets really clear vertical stripes, she kind of reminds me of a samurai gourami. ^.^
Name:  Breeding.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  34.9 KB
Name:  Breeding4.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  31.0 KB
The second one is right after coitus (you can see the male's enlarged belly from all of those eggs!), so she's still pretty coloured up. You can kind of make her out in front of the male. Like I said, awful quality, but man I love those stripes. The male surprisingly doesn't colour up when they're in the middle of mating or afterwards. The first one you can still see some of that orange more towards the base, but that's way after they had sex. She was begging for food at that point. I'm actually surprised they mated since she got sucked up the gravel vacuum two days ago and had some cuts!
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote