Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #551 
Tree

How large is the Spec III? they say to just add 1 to 1 1/2 inch of substrate in a 5 gallon. for my tank I have dirt on the bottom that is about an inch and then a thin layer of gravel over it. but you should be good with just the inch of Substrate.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #552 
jsalexson4689

After many hours of work here is the completed setup. I really hope the plants take hold and grow well.
Attached Images

jsalexson4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #553 
jsalexson4689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
How large is the Spec III? they say to just add 1 to 1 1/2 inch of substrate in a 5 gallon. for my tank I have dirt on the bottom that is about an inch and then a thin layer of gravel over it. but you should be good with just the inch of Substrate.
Its probably better to have more substrate than not enough so Im sure the roots will appreciate the extra room to grow.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #554 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalexson4689 View Post
After many hours of work here is the completed setup. I really hope the plants take hold and grow well.

oh that looks just fine. =D

and yeah the more substrate the better. ;)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #555 
jsalexson4689

Does anyone have any experience with Flourish Excel and Flourish? I am going to be using them in my Spec III and this dosing information is a bit confusing. I was trying to figure out how many mL for each gallon.
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #556 
happypappy

i use excel in my tanks to control algae -- use 7 caps in a 75gal and 3 caps in a 30gal. This is the initial dose and after large water changes; otherwise, I do half dose 2-3 times a week.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #557 
jsalexson4689

I am started to doubt my purchase of Eco-Complete, it had tons of good review on amazon so I went with it for the substrate. The plants were very hard to get to stay in the substrate and not stay down. The plants dont look very healthy, good amounts of brown or dieing leaves on the plants. None of the plants look like they are doing well per-say. I dont know what Im doing wrong. I have the tank light on for about 8 hours a day and the water temp is good. I am perplexed.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #558 
Tree

Don't give up on the plants yet. they will melt because they are adjusting to the water. just clip off the dead ones and new leaves will start to grow. I had that issue at the beginning too and thought I was killing them.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #559 
Flint

The baby tears will stay shorter than your crypts, I would swap their placement. Flourish is a fertilizer while Excel is a CO2 suppliment. I use Flourish regularly.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #560 
chelley

Fluval Spec V

Hi all,

New here and new to everything fish related! Here's my fluval spec V with my brand new betta Beastie (sorry about the glare). A few questions. I had to put a fluval pre filter sponge on my filter cuz the flow (even on the lowest setting) pushed him to the back of the tank. I just pop it on right? No need to put a hole in it or increase the flow? Is my water still filtering? Thanks!
Attached Images

chelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec