Betta Fish Forum banner

The time has come. Setting up my two 3 gallon NPTs!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lilyth88 
#1 ·
I am expecting plants in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday from someone here on the forums. In the meanwhile, I will be picking up soil and sand to turn my two 3 gallon tanks into NPTs. I have been lurking on OFL's post about how to set up NPTs for awhile now, and I think I get the jist of it.

That being said, where should Echo and Chronos go while their tanks are being converted? Can I put them in the same day I convert their tanks? Should I keep them in their QT tanks for a few days? What's the best way to go about that?

#4 ·
I don't think it is possible to have too many shrimp. :) It is lovely to see cherry shrimp all over the place, and since they have such a tiny bioload it doesn't really matter if they breed like crazy, especially in a planted tank.

As for snails, it really depends on the type. Wash your plants carefully to avoid hitchhikers, and don't buy anything too prolific, such as ramshorns or MTS (unless you want them). Nerites (for algae) and assasin snails (for keeping snail populations under control) may be good. :)

#6 ·
Just keep rinsing the sand until you can't see any more dirt or dustiness. :)

In an NPT the fish can be added the same day, though it wouldn't hurt to give everything a day to settle, as Matts said. :) It may also be good to add the fish over a couple of days to allow the tank to adjust to the incoming bioload.

#9 ·
Got everything set up tonight. Water was a bit cloudy, so I'll see how it looks tomorrow before I take pictures.

Plants are a little wilty after shipping, so we'll see how they do.

Fish and shrimp tomorrow if all goes according to plan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.