Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Obsession!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kgplucker 
#1 ·
Hi all! I am new to this group and just wanted to jump right in! We got my kids a betta for Christmas and we just fell in love. He has SO much personality. It didn't take long for us to realize we wouldn't be happy with just one betta in a 3 gallon tank. So we took an old 10 gallon we have and divided it 3 ways so now we have 3! We have experience in freshwater and saltwater aquariums but this is our first foray into bettas. I'm a bit concerned about filtration... wondering how I'm going to keep the tank clean without a filter? But I know they can't take the current. Anyway, here's our new setup. I welcome any comments!

#2 ·
Wow, that looks really nice!

You can have a filter in the tank, all you have to do is baffle it. its really easy, take some filter sponge and use an elastic band to hold it over the filter outtake. It also provides a good place for benificial bacteria to grow.

If you dont want a filter, though, you will have to do quite a few water changes.

#3 ·
You can definitely filter the tank (and should in my opinion). You can cover the intake with a pice of foam and baffle the flow out if it's a problem.
It really depends on the fish in that bay.

If you've had cycled tanks before, you know the drill on that, so..grab a filter and get to work!! If you've forgotten, there are tons of posts here about cycling and lots of people around to answer questions if you've got them!

Most here cycle the tanks with the fishies in..just check the water params often and get a good water change schedule going until after the tank has cycled.

Congrats on the tank!! It looks great :)

Show us some pics of the boys close up!!

#4 ·
With the dividers in there I don't think a power filter would work obviously so maybe you could put small corner or sponge filters in each section. I plan on making a 6 foot tank many dividers in it but with an udergravel filter in the bottom and air lift tubes for each compartment.

#6 ·
I use a power filter in my divided tanks. Still works pretty good!:-D

#7 ·
I was thinking about the one I was building. It is going to be an all glass tank without any perforated dividers. It's still in the planning stage but I want it for a show tank for 6 to 8 Bettas. I plan on moving into the store on my property and selling my Bettas out of there. I am not allowed to do anything like that in the mobile home park I'm in now. I'd love to see some more of your setup and get some more ideas.

#8 ·
Okay, I did go out today and get a Duetto submersible pump, turned it all the way down and faced the input toward the back of the tank with the output facing in toward the tank (located in the 3rd section). I think it will work perfect - very low flow. In the first section I put an airstone. There are holes in my dividers so there is water flowing through. I tried to get a couple of close ups of our guys - Billy, Bob, and Bruce respectively -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.