Betta Fish Forum banner

pink/purple dragon

2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Betta Slave 
#1 ·
Ide like to introduce my new dragon Rayden hes a bit worse for wear cause he was at the pet store for over a month so some tlc and a new mommy will help him on the road to recovery

#3 ·
Aww! Poor thing! I love his coloring! Do you know if he's a delta or veiltail? It's hard to tell. I guess it will be a nice surprise! :)

#4 ·
Dragon- rich strong base colour with the scales on the main part of the body a pale iridescent

he does have iridescent scales if you look at his gill cover you can see the shimmer he just looks like crap right now cause he was in a cup for over a month not that im trying to say your wrong I totally respect everyones opinion on here but I paid extra just cause hes a dragon so he BETTER BE!! or i'll have a mental breakdown :(

Im assuming hes a VT

#5 ·
I don't want to argue with you, but below is a picture of a dragon. Not a full one at that, but a dragon all the same. You can mainly see the scaling on the side of his head.

Dragons are identified by their thick, white scaling on their bodies- sometime with a blue-ish tinge.

And yes, he looks like a VT. :)

#6 ·
i've seen dragons with colored scales, other than white or light blue. my chappy and her folks have green-blue scales, not light blue. but, generally, the thick scales give it away. the boy in the OP's pics, doesn't look like a dragon, but he could just be pale and stressed from being stuck at the pet store so long. :d he sure is pretty, either way!

#7 ·
Luimeril also brings up a good point... I had a dragon boy w/ purple-y scales- but white is most common (IME), and you're still very well able to tell if the fish is a dragon or not, regardless of scale color.

Aside from dragon-ness- please post update pics once he's warmed up! I'm anxious to see how he'll brighten up.

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't think he is a dragon. If her were, his scales would be much more... Dragonish. I don't know how to describe it but they have very distinct coloring. Unless his coloring drastically changes in the next few weeks, I don't think he is a dragon. Try taking another picture when he gets better.

#9 ·
there's also Marble Dragons. i saw one, when i got Theo. he was beautiful. creamy white, with silvery white dragon scales, all the up until you got to the base of the tail, where fin meets body. the scales there, were a dark blue-green. :d

but, then again, some people are known to call anything with shiny scales, a dragon. it could be Petstore Mislabeling. guess we'll find out, after he warms up. :3

#12 ·
I'm in the process of setting him up with some new gravel I picked black to some off his coloring he's still a bit pale as he was a lovely lavender in the shop and right now he's a pale Pinky/peach ill have a new pic of him in about ten minutes he's also VERY small compared to my other boys so he might be quite young still Ide say my other boys are probably a good two inchs in just body length and he's maybe one inch

#13 ·
The lfs I got him from price there betta rather high but I've seen some awesome betta there and they seem knowledgeable...there half-moons sell at 12 dollars which is comparable to Petco price seeing as how Petco betta can get up to 17.99

#19 ·
Pink, sorry. XD He looks orange in those pics.

Yes, I *think* the dragon pattern shows up more with age- but rather subtly. And unless he's very small, he doesn't look that young to me- just skinny and malnourished. If he didn't have any fin damage, his fins would be lovely and big.

Unless he has ANY thick, shimmery, white scaling anywhere else on his body, I would say he isn't quite a dragon. If he has the scaling on his gills he has the gene, but I doubt the scaling will progress any more on his body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.