Betta Fish Forum banner

quick question

517 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
how old do bettas need to be to breed? my female is only a few months onld but im itching to breed her..

#4 ·
Males mature faster than females, from what I've seen. I've seen fish bred from 2.5-3.5 months young, to nearly a year and a half. Most fish, are sold from 6 months (usually LFS stores) to approximately a year (usually pet stores). I've gotten unknown aged girls, because they sat for months in dirty bowls, and wouldn't grow nor show color.

Usually, the girls can show you signs of readiness... when conditioning them, she should get nice and plump with eggs. My three/four girls nearly explode with eggs.

#5 ·
Some females would breed at 2.5 months old. But in my area it's not advised to breed them that young due to low survival rate. Even 4 months old may often produce weak fry. In my area it's advised to breed them after they're 5 months old.

I go by size rather than age. I breed when they've reached 3-3.5 cm (body only) or about 1.5" (BO).

#7 ·
yes, please. I came across some trying to breed their fish the employee's way :| It can be bad for you, both fish, and the experience :) There's loads of research - but we can help ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.