Betta Fish Forum banner

Corydoras

10K views 86 replies 17 participants last post by  hedgehog 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread about the wonderful little fish, corydoras. I personally own four corydoras agassizii (spotted) that share a tank with a small school of black neon tetras.

I have enjoyed watching my cories interact with the other fish in tank and watch as they play. Corydoras are wonderful little fish that get along with most other fish, are very social, and help keep the our substrate clean. ;-)

Anyone else share my love of Corydoras and if so which are your favorite(s)? I

#79 ·
I just got 2 albino Cory Cats not long ago. They cycled my 10 gallon tank when I first started it. I love Cory cats a lot! I'm not sure what to name them yet, I can't tell them appart from each other yet LOL! Not sure if they are male or female either, they are still small and young. I love to watch them search for food on the bottom of the aquarium :) Too bad my 3 year old Betta Greg died today :( I set up this tank special for him to live in. I just completed the cycle of the tank and was going to add him to the 10 gallon tank tomorrow. :(

#82 ·
corydoras

Hi there I just joined today,hello to you all and a very happy new year and I would like to share my tank details with you all.

My wife and I have a 6 gall Fluval edge tank and have kept 11 neon tetras and 4 Habrosus dainty cories in it for almost a year now and they are getting along fine.Today we added 5 endlers guppies and they are all getting along great.

Does anybody know if they will cross breed .The 5 endlers guppies are all males:)

#83 ·
Do you mean will the different species reproduce with each other? That answer is no. In theory the cories or the neon tetras could mate within their species. In that tank it's unlikely though. I don't have any knowledge of breeding tetras but I know that cories prefer specific conditions to breed and that it requires effort to get many of the corydora species to breed.

I would like to point out that your tank is overstocked though. It would be in the fish's best interest to upgrade their tank size. The smaller species of cory tend to be less hardy than the larger species so it often better to keep them in larger groups (6-8) to reduce stress.

#84 ·
Hi hedgehog thanks for reply .Yes I did mean will they cross breed species wise and I do know corys like certain conditions.

We are in the process of upgrading to a bigger tank but cant decide which one to have .
I know about the rule of thumb 1" of fish to 6"of water and the overstock is very temporary(we only bought the guppies today and they are little more than fry at the moment,and the guy at the fish suppliers we use says that the filter on the fluval edge we have is more than capable to support the extra fish on a temp basis).They seem to have settled in tonight and are not at all stressed.I will keep a careful watch on the water quality as well as I always do so thankyou for your concern but it is only very temporary as I say.
Perhaps you could help us decide on the tank choice.If this is in another thread pm me please and we can chat.
Thanks again for your reply
We had 6 dainty corys but have lost 2 over a year and have not been able to find another supplier to replace them.
I agree that they are happier in shoals of 6 or more

#85 ·
Okay I just wanted to make sure you were aware that it was overstocked. Some people just throw fish together because they look cool and don't care about the needs of the fish. That doesn't seem to be the case here though since you did get proper schools :). I can understand that getting certain species of cories can be hard. I've only managed to find two where I live. I'm not that great with stocking since I only keep cories with bettas so haven't really worked out the differentiation between bottom and midlevel swimmers. Tropicalfishkeeping recommends at least a 15 gallon for the tetras. I would think a 15-20 gallon would work out with the fish you listed. If you feel comfortable with aquabid may have dainty cories for sale. I don't know how well they would do when shipped though.

#87 ·
Hmm...I was actually accessing it through the betta fish forum and wasn't sure where to find it on TFK. I'm also not certain how to change the time. Maybe it says somewhere under the User CP at the top of the forum. Sorry you think I would have figured it out in the year and a half I've been on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.