Betta Fish Forum banner

Is A 5.5 gal Too Small To Split?

822 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MameJenny 
#1 ·
If I was to divide my 5.5 gallon filtered and heated tank for two bettas, would it be too small? Not just for space but also for bioload? Or would I just be better off getting another tank?

#2 ·
I had my 5.5 split for a bit. My regular sized betta seemed perfectly comfortable, my "king" betta was less happy with the smaller quarters.

#3 ·
You should be fine with just 2 betta, putting additional fish in there would be pushing it. If you are concerned invest in some quick growing low light plants like riccia, duckweed, hornwort, or anacharis. Also get bulb(s) with low wattage close to the 6500kelvin range, most strand lights that come in tank packs aren't for growing plants (if you decide to ass plants).

#4 ·
I have a 5.5 gallon divided tank. As for the bioload, I wouldn't put any fish in there besides the bettas, and even snails/shrimp would probably be pushing it unless the tank is heavily planted. The size of each side is perfect for a betta. Mine both seem very content with the space, even my larger male. I wouldn't divide anything smaller, though.

#6 ·
You are on the edge with that size, but you could do it. The bioload should be fine, and you could easily have shrimp or snail companions if your tank was properly filtered. I would put a 5 gallon rated sponge filter on each side of the tank (likely called mini sponge filters) and a single heater towards the middle.

Using a Java Moss wall as a divider would be extremely appropriate, as your divider would then also serve to support plantlife, and you could even maximize your available space by not having a substrate of any kind. But even without anything at all green and using gravel, you still have plenty of space for two betta in a divided 5.5.

As for if you would be better off just getting a second tank, I'd say yes. 10 gallon kits are inexpensive and you could start from the beginning with a tank divided into three or even four segments, and use yout 5.5 as a QT/HT. Or you could keep your existing betta in the 5.5 and put a community in the 10.

#7 ·
I have a 5.5 gallon tank split, heavy planted with a betta and a snail on each side. A heater on one side of the tank and a sponge filter on the other. and peacock moss in the divider. everything is going great. =)

#8 ·
It's not just a bioload question, it's also a shape question. Most bettas do better in short wider tanks, rather than tall skinny tanks, since they need to get up to the top to breathe. I suspect that dividing the 5.5 will result in two tall, skinny fish areas. If you have very active bettas (preferably plakat types), that could work, but could be quite a bit harder on two long-finned varieties.

This is also an issue with 10 gallon tanks, especially when people divide those three ways. It depends a great deal on how your tank is shaped to begin with.

#9 ·
The nice thing about standard 5.5 gallons is that they're a nice rectangle shape. There's still a lot of surface area for each betta. They're also not terribly tall, so a healthy betta can easily swim all the way to the bottom and back again. I have a very long finned delta who gets to the top without much issue. You make a good point, though. I wouldn't divide anything taller than around 12-14 inches for this reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.