Betta Fish Forum banner

I.T. Gender unknown...

442 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Canis 
#1 ·
Here's my newest little one, I.T. For now I'm saying it's a male (fingers crossed), despite the fact that signs are pointing towards female. I got him as a juvenile at a LPS. He's a locally bred plakat.

Any ideas on the gender? He does have an egg spot, but I know that sometimes juvenile males have those. I've tried getting him to flare at a mirror, but that seems to confuse him. He's either flaring his tail but not his gills, or the other way around. He's currently around 4-5 months old, according to the guy at the shop.

And please ignore the spots on my fishtank...:oops:

See less See more
#3 ·
Truthfully, I'm fairly certain it's a female. The juvenile bettas were all in a tank together at the store, so the guy was just scooping them out into a betta cup and saying 'how bout this one?'. Little critters can swim real fast...

He told me if it turns out to be a female to bring her back and get a male, but I'll most likely be too attached by then. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.