Betta Fish Forum banner

Another does my betta have popeye

411 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  David Betta 
#1 ·
New to the forum. I have read and learned a lot from this site. Thanks for all of the info.
I recently got a betta, and I thought it has popeye, but now I am not sure. The photos seem to exaggerate how far the eyes stick out. I read that some bettas, especially dark blue ones, have eyes that normally stick out. I treated with a course of Maracyn Two, with no change. I am now on day 1 of an epsom salt treatment (1 tsp per gal). No change. The fish is active, eats everything I give him, is making some bubbles. It does not seem sick at all. Do you think the guy has popeye? Should I just continue with the ES treatment for a week, and then if no change then stop adding ES to the water changes and just see what happens to him? Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I too have learned alot of things from this forum by reading other people's problems! lol. Yes, It does seem that he has a case of popeye. Queston: was he developing popeye when you got him or did it start after you got him? I would do 1 or 2 more days of the epsom salt then take a break for about a week because he will get stressed form all these meds. unless it starts to get really serious, you shouldn't put any med in it for a while! (that includes all salt) just give him clean water, good food, and lots of love and see if that works! Im not an expert on popeye so please anyone correct me if im wrong! Good luck and I hope he feels better!!!!

#3 ·
Thanks. My son got him and put him in a tank which I had cycled and got ready. I was out of town for a few days, and he could not wait! I saw him about 4 days after we got him, and this is what he looked like. My son does not remember if the eyes changed. The tank is 3.4 gallons. I read that a 100% water change is not a good idea. In a day or two I could start to replace the water at a rate of 1/2 gallon per day, and then in a few days all (or most of the salt could be gone).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.