Betta Fish Forum banner

National Geographic Half-Moon Aqua Oasis tank? Yay or nay?

34K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  trumpredmr 
#1 ·
I went to Petsmart today to get my male betta a new tank to replace his old one, which I hated. I went to get the Aqueon 2.5 gal bowfront, and instead left with a new shelf item: the National Geographic Half-Moon Aqua Oasis Starter Kit. It's just like the Aqueon, with the 2.5 gal, filter, LED lights and bowfront shape but a tad cheaper. I like to review my tank options online before purchasing but it's so new that I couldn't find any. Has anyone else bought this National Geographic tank and could give me quick opinion or review? I'd like to move my boy as soon as possible. Thanks!

#38 ·
I bought the 2.5 gallon one the other day. I bought a very weak and thin betta and he does just fine in the current. It's barely noticeable, I'm surprised to hear that it's too much for other fish since he's so weak and sickly! He's improved immensely in the past few days and gotten much stronger. I have the tank completely bare right now so there is no buffer. It is also a very quiet filter, which is important for me as I am sensitive to sounds at night.

The only thing I dislike about it is the bio-media is outside the filter around the end of the filter tube. It takes up space and is pretty ugly. My fish enjoys investigating it though, so I guess that's a plus, haha. I would probably buy this tank again if I got another betta or some shrimp.

#39 ·
I have had my Nat Geo 21/2 gal tank for less than a month. It does seem smaller than it says but my Betta Guy swims around happily. I wanted to keep the flow of the filter down, so I fill my tank to just over an inch from the top and use the leaves from a tall live plant to baffle the water spill from the filter. I do have a 25 watt heater in there as well. Hope this helps, it works for my guy.

#40 · (Edited)
I take my previous post back...I really liked it aside from the filter taking up a lot of space within the tank...I definitely prefer an external filter hub. The current was no problem if the water is filled up all the way to the top.

But just today the light started flickering and will not turn off. The touch sensor is not responding and there's nothing I can do about it since the filter and lights use the same power source and I don't want to ruin my just-established cycle. I will be buying a different tank ASAP as I don't want my poor fish and shrimp to get stressed out from the lights being on 24/7. Not a very smart or thoughtful design.

I have no idea how to make this image smaller...sorry, on mobile.

#42 ·
I take my previous post back...I really liked it aside from the filter taking up a lot of space within the tank...I definitely prefer an external filter hub. The current was no problem if the water is filled up all the way to the top.

But just today the light started flickering and will not turn off. The touch sensor is not responding and there's nothing I can do about it since the filter and lights use the same power source and I don't want to ruin my just-established cycle. I will be buying a different tank ASAP as I don't want my poor fish and shrimp to get stressed out from the lights being on 24/7. Not a very smart or thoughtful design.

I have no idea how to make this image smaller...sorry, on mobile.
Hilariously, the light on mine freaks out when WATER gets on it. Nice design there. I like it just fine otherwise...but really? Water freaks out the touch sensor? In a fish tank?

#41 ·
Viperoni, and possibly the original poster as well,

I agree with Joebetta, your water level could be causing the waterfall effect and too strong outflow. In Viperoni's photo the water level is too low. The closer the water is to the outflow of the filter, the gentler the flow.

#44 · (Edited)
I just got this tank a few days ago. On the first morning one of the LED lights flickered and went out. I took the whole filter/light contraption to the pet store and they exchanged it for me. I have had no more problems with the lighting. However, Galaxy somehow got his tail sucked against the black sponge cover thing at the bottom of the filter tube and it shredded his fins. I easily took off the black sponge and have had no more problems with tail shredding. His fins are healed now. Besides those things, I really do love the tank; the LED lights make the neon gravel pop, and the filter is very quiet. I partway buried the bottom of the filter tube in a plastic plant. Galaxy seems to like the tank. He sometimes rides the filter currant down, and he likes going up to the top of the filter and peering at air bubbles resting on it. I unplug the tank at night because the filter makes him so active. Instead of a switch for the light, it has a touch sensor on top, which I really like. I have a disabled sister and she loves tapping the light on and off as well as watching the fish. One more thing: the filter doesn't want to work unless the water is up very high. This has only happened once, though. Overall I'd give the tank 4 stars, mostly because of the horrible black sponge filter cover.

#46 ·
National Geo 2.5

I've had this tank just over a month and while I love it, it has it's problems. I like the size of it......kinda. I wish I had gone bigger, but oh well, maybe I will soon :)

The light. Yes the light is a problem. If it gets wet, it will NOT stay on. I actually took back the filter/light and they gave me a different one with less LEDS (which I'm ok with) and the same problem happened. I finally figured out that it was the water level. I now fill it up to JUST below the light and have had it work fine ever since. It's a great starter, but I'd recommend going with something different if you want that size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.