Betta Fish Forum banner

Scout's in the 10 gallon!

627 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ArcticBeauty14 
#1 ·
Soooooo the ten gallon is set up, my mother is VERY reluctant to get a heater, or even admit we need one, but Scout will be fine since the lights will heat the tank for the time being. I know it's not the right kind of heat, but it is something.
We got a heater from walmart that doesn't fit. It's a 10-20 gallon filter. Nope won't fit. Too big. So we're getting a smaller one from the local pet shop

We have a bubble wall, but it's too strong, so we'll just turn it on every couple hours to keep the water oxygenated and flowing. Not all the plants we have are in the tank because we don't have enough blue rocks, but we're buying some so we'll be able to put them all in.
Quick question: The tanks side walls act as mirrors. If I put something on the sides to stop it from mirroring, it doesn't work. How can I fix that?

Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Lighting

See less See more
#3 ·
Your tank is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product..

If you're bubble wand is on a pump you can lower it that way. You can even leave it up higher as the exercise is good for Scout. To prevent temperature fluctuations, you might want to think about either leaving the lights on or leaving them off 24/7 until you get your heater.

#4 ·
I don't know if it's a pump exactly. It's a little black thing, and actually looks a lot like a high-tech computer mouse. Mom just says it's an aerator.

What can I do about the inside of the tank walls reflecting Scout? He keeps flaring and hiding.

#5 ·
I've found that sometimes it takes several days for a Betta to get used to a larger tank. Hides like clay flower pots are good and not very expensive. Bettas aren't really used to wide open spaces and sometimes it sort of scares them for bit.

Are you going to get live plants? Live plants aren't that hard to grow IF you are prepared for a little maintenance. All I use are root tabs and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (liquid) fertilizer. You could try some low-maintenance floating plants for him to rest in and to block out part of the walls. Cabomba and Narrow Leaf Anacharis are good ones. You could get a nice Sword to plant in the middle and to break up the stretch of aquarium wall.

Is the bubbler right up against the back wall? Mine is on full force and it breaks up the reflection on the back wall. You could also get some construction paper and tape it to the outside back and sides until he gets use to his aquarium. Construction paper shouldn't reflect like regular paper. If you're artistic you could even decorate it!

Enjoy! And ask away. :)

#6 ·
The paper on the sides doesn't work- I've tried. It still reflects him. It's like some sort of a built in mirror. I don't have any live plants, and I don't think I could get them in town. My friend has some that she's giving me, but I don't know what kind it is. I'll talk to my mum about the pot. Shouldn't be hard to get.
The bubble was against that wall, but it blows scout around quite a bit, and he's been trying to cuddle up under it. :) He's so cute. I'll have to get those other rocks though or he'll hurt himself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.