Betta Fish Forum banner

moss plantt

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  R3n3gade 
#1 ·
Petsmart told me to put one of their rootless moss plants in my betta tank. I asked him if its safe and he said yes and it will help make the water cleaner. Its pretty small and seems ok but what all do I need to know about this? And is it ok?

#4 ·
Marimo moss balls are popular as a basically care-free live plant. PetSmart told me I'd have to do less water changes with it.. That's a LIE. Keep up with your regular water changes and enjoy your moss ball!!
PS don't sell the nano ones but you can get them on ebay, nano moss balls are smaller than the regular ones, they're simply adorable!

#8 ·
If you did get a Marimo, make sure you squeeze it out either every water change or once every couple of weeks as they absorb a lot of debris. When you do, cover your nose, they smell. Hahah.

Marimo balls are actually a species of algae so they are sometimes added to planted aquariums to help reduce algae blooms (though you'd need a fair few for any real effect).

#12 ·
Some filters have carbon cartridges that need to be replaced, I honestly don't like carbon for anything other than removing old medications, so I see carbon cartridges as useless for a betta's permanent home.

As jstn correctly said, the media in your filter should never be replaced, that is where all the beneficial bacteria established during your aquarium's cycle lives. You should also never rinse the filter media in tap water, but instead if you so wish you can take it out, give it a swish around in old aquarium water once every few months and put it back. This'll get rid of the larger debris whilst keeping your cycle in tact.

#14 ·
they do get dirty, but still like spokytooth says, you're just supposed to take it out every so often & swish it around in a bucket of tank water. NOT straight tap water, it has to be water that you've used your water contitioner in. that washes out some of the debris that get stuck in it and you put it back in, it's fine that it looks dirty as long as water can still pass through it.

carbon is the crunchy black rock stuff that some filter pouches have in side of them. for me, i cut mine open and just rinsed the carbon out in a bucket and kept using it because i'm cheap. :razz:

#15 ·
they do get dirty, but still like spokytooth says, you're just supposed to take it out every so often & swish it around in a bucket of tank water. NOT straight tap water, it has to be water that you've used your water contitioner in. that washes out some of the debris that get stuck in it and you put it back in, it's fine that it looks dirty as long as water can still pass through it.

carbon is the crunchy black rock stuff that some filter pouches have in side of them. for me, i cut mine open and just rinsed the carbon out in a bucket and kept using it because i'm cheap. :razz:[/QUO

Ok well i dnt see any black rocks just got the filter and the water goes through and out the yop...theres a pad that slips in and thats all and thats the part i was wondering about...do i still just leave that and for how long? Whats a sign that its bad? The water is still flowing and i did my water change today and swished it in the old water...anymore info about this for sure would be great because my betta is very happy so far his first month and im also very happy too lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.