Betta Fish Forum banner

Treat your bettas like children?

2K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  TurtleBarb 
#1 ·
Hi. It seems like everyone here treats their bettas like children. I just have my betta sit in his bowl and I turn on his heat lamp every hour. So do you treat your bettas like children.

#29 ·
I don't have any children, but I do have three little brothers who I love very much, and helped raise. I love my fish as I love my other pets, but to say I love them as much as my brothers would be a preposterous thing to say. To quote Jexx, they are my treasured pets, and I love and care for them very much, and I try my best to give them as high quality a life as I can. I know that they won't live as long as my dog or my cat, and that I can't cuddle with them, but they are still very sweet, responsive creatures, and all are very beautiful in their own way. I could be having a bad day, but when I come home, I watch them swimming all carefree, or doing the "feed me" dance, or even zooming around as if they're welcoming me home, and I feel at peace. It's a great feeling for a person to have.

#30 ·
Jexx: Well, you know, if kids could not talk and did everything as they were supposed to, and did not turn out rotten when spoiled... They'd have it the same as our fish :lol:

#32 ·
ROFL. If this were true kids would be a lot easier to raise and I think a lot more ppl would have children XD

#34 ·
LOL..I talk to them, say excuse me when I have to go into their tank, feed them the best food, tank conditions, etc. Okay, so, I treat them better than the kids..lol..just kidding, kinda..lol

#35 ·
I suppose in a way my pets are kinda like children. I clean up after them, feed them, provide for them and take care of them. I never considered myself a fish person until I got my first betta. I love how interactive I can be with them. They aren't like a lot of fish that just dart away when you come up to the tank. They get happy and dance for me when I come over and talk to them.

I think it's okay to become very attached to your pets and take good care of them, but the people who treat their pets like humans take it too far. No, your dog does not need to eat off a plate at the table.

#37 ·
I treat my fish like fish not children lol a tank, some water and some food and theyre sorted. To be honest I dont think its right to treat any animal as if its a human. Enjoying their company is something I can quite easily do without viewing them as children.

Many people see fish more as ornaments instead of interactive pets, however you view them though and whatever reasons you keep them for, you should provide any animal in your care with a healthy life.

#38 ·
Personally, I think we are individuals and to each our own. I really thought this was a joking, light type of thread. I am logical--they are fish. My dog, is a dog. My cat, is a cat. However, they are God's creatures and I treat them as such. They are also a part of the family. A breeder can breed in many ways. I tend to breed with love and care, and it will show in the long run. That is my technique, and it makes me enjoy what I do.

However, you feel about your fish, or any pet is up to you, and really doesn't need criticism. Of course, this is MHO.

#39 ·
I don't anthropomorphize my fish or any other animal, but I do recognize them as beings deserving of my love, care and kindness. And that's what I give them. He does feel like a child to me. He is a dependent, feeling, interactive being whom I love and care for. He's not a human person, and I don't treat him like one, but I appreciate that he has an ability to feel, some level of intelligence and a personality. So he gets my love and compassion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.