Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta genetics

5K views 110 replies 14 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Ok so I was wondering if someone could explain the betta genetics for me.. I've read a few articles and my brain just about exploded! I have 2 halfmoon males one is a mustard gas, one is completely white. Then I also have a red with blue shimmer VT and a black and blue dragon scale male (thats what he was called when i got him)

At the moment I have 4 VT females but am looking for other females as well.. wondering if maybe I should be looking for a specific type. I read a few times that it isnt always best to have the same type for male and female. Is that true as well?

#2 ·
Going to need to give us some specific questions. There's a lot to explain about genetics :)

As for what types you should breed that is up to you. Breeding VT is controversial because they're so widely available.. which makes them less in demand. However, I know personally I would rather get a VT who is home-bred and well cared for than one from a fish store so you can use that to your advantage.

More popular types (PK, Halfmoon, DT, CT-to some extent) are easier to place and thus probably a better option to breed. IMO you should always start off with the best possible stock which means you need to know what to look for in your fish and have a goal in mind for what you want the outcome to be.

Generally speaking it is always better to breed the same tail type because you know what the out come will be (at least tail type-wise). Mixing different tail types can be tricky and you might not always come out with nice looking fins.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
o.o good question... someone asked if my Spartan was a dalmation (heh?).... I dunno!! lol. All I know is I think he is a halfmoon cross... lol. -definitely suscribed-

"may not get nice looking fins" o.o;; I crossed a crowntail and a half moon cross... what will I get?? lol

#4 ·
There are chances you will get Halfsuns from that. If I am correct, I may be wrong though.

#5 ·
halfsuns... -looks them up-...... pretty, actually. Yeah they are both just pet store bettas... he knows the breeder they both came from, and he breeds for the colors and long fins. Still may have a whatsitcalled and a whattheheckisthat in there somewhere but meh :p

#6 ·
Most of the time you get messy fins when you breed anything with CT. Its more rare to get a halfway decent looking fish than it is to end up with tattered looking fins.

Breeding successive generations one way or the other will usually clean up the fins. But F1s generally are very messy.

Here's an example from AB I saved. This is not my picture. This fish is nice in the fact that he's got a good spread and decent symmetry. Its just too bad he looks shredded.

Attachments

#7 ·
Ok so for my dragon scale.. I would need to find a female that is one as well? Or would it be safe to have him be paired up with one of my Vt girls?

I love his coloring.. but I heard the VT's are the ones that appear the most.. so would that include the color as well?

#11 ·
Dragons need a dragon male and a dragon female to get the full effect.

VT is dominant over all other tail types so if you cross anything with VT you will get primarily vt, however you may get a small number of deltas.

Color genetics are very hard to get. Basically if you want a certain color your BEST bet is to get a sibling pair with the colors you want, because unless you know the genetic background of the fish your going to breed you have no way to know what you'll get out of your spawn.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
you know, I do like that shredded look on that particular betta... though I am guessing he only looks pretty when his fins are erect, hey? All well. I'll see what happens :)

I think it would be whichever thing is the dominant color or fin :) veiltail is probably more dominant... a certain color may be more dominant... But depending on the batch, you could get everything, or one thing, or a couple things.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, what happened was that I had my new fish in temporary heated bowls (2-3 gallons each), with Spartan in the tank. The female was interested in Dusk, and she followed him (sort of like going... "now... what exactly do you do?") but Dusk is the one who'd tear anything and everything fin from fin, wing from wing.... whatever he can, he will :eek:

However once she saw Spartan, she was intent on watching him, and he completely wanted her xDD you can tell lol. And in 24 hours she had her vertical lines, plumped, wiggled, and he had made a huge nest, showed off, and wiggled o.o;;

They chose each other. I didn't pair them :eek: should have seen him with her. He didn't get rough with her too much (like often mentioned of breeder's tries) he liked to brush against her, and flaunt for her XDD took them four days, but they did it :) now he is keeping the eggs fungus free, I guess lol

I definitely want to know what my male is....

#12 ·
hehe I bred a ebony black female with mettalic blue specks, with my orange/peach/pink/purple/dark blue/black male >< I do not think I could think of the colors I'll end up with ><

#13 ·
So for dragons I have 3 males that are dragon scale, they will produce me partial dragons and fry with the dragon geno so if I spawned a sibling pair I should come out with full dragons right?

#14 ·
I think that's what 1fish is saying o.o you could get dragons, but chances are the veiltail would come out most

#17 ·
I currently have 1 dragon plaket 1 dragon Hm 1 dragon delta all males. I am going to breed the DPK to a reg PK fem they are seriously in love. The moment they saw each other in their QTs it was flirting flaring dancing galore haha

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
pics on other computer.... but the link to my photos:

this is my male Spartan. his backfin is shortened in the spot (sooo visible) because an african dwarf frog decided he didn't wanna be his buddy anymore ;(
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2640&pictureid=17904
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2603&pictureid=17884
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2640&pictureid=17897
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2640&pictureid=17908

haha Amph I know right?? Madame and Spartan chose each other xD i did not choose the pair... it just... happened lol

if anyone knows what the hey he is it would be lovely lol

#19 ·
Oh wow he's so pretty! You dont see kinds like him at my lfs.. But not sure what he is either

1fish - I've been keeping my eyes on that section for a week now.. the only ones that were, either I couldnt afford or shipping cost to much :\ although I am waiting to hear back from one person about thoes marble juvies.......

#20 ·
really??? He was ugly as a youngster xDDD then he got his purty colors (some still think he is ugly well meh their lost)

#22 ·
haha Riting :p well I have people lined up for fry o.o I have no idea why... they are just basic bettas who I happened to breed Maybe it is because they know they can see how they are cared for? And see the food I use. And see how I clean... idk lol

#23 ·
Haha my boy thoth DTHM and his cambo HM are the same way she only has eyes for him and he shows off constantly.

While Poppycock is such a flirt with any female near him XD. I hope he and the CT girl get on well I want pure CT fry from them.

#24 ·
Amph, where do you live? lol I would totally love one of your fry xDD

Except I understand shipping cost is sometimes painful :eek:

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.