Betta Fish Forum banner

Weird flakes in water

909 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  finnfinnfriend 
#1 ·
every time ive changed the water for the last few weeks, weird slimy flakes float around in the in water when i pour the clean water in and then they settle down after a minute. I think it might be stress coat residue. Anyway is it harmful to my fish? If it's not then i dont care....

#2 ·
That's what happens 2 me 2. I think it is like the extra debris in the gravel. But once when I had 2 measure my amount of Water Conditioner, I saw flexible,wet flakes 2. I think it is the Water Conditioner. But I use Top Fin brand though. Do U use a Gravel Siphon? Cuz I'm going 2 buy one 2 clean my gravel and get the water. I think a Gravel Siphon will solve the problem.

#3 ·
I have a gravel vaccum and those flakes never appear until i pour water in....

#4 ·
Also it looks like there is some residue on the suction cups that hold up my heater

#6 ·
Its too late :/ but they are basically white-ish slimy flakes that float around in the water for a minute or two after i pour water in. And they looks similar to the residue on the suction cups holding the heater up...

#7 ·
Okay,so what about the tank ornaments? I'm not sure what the problem's solution is,but,we both have it and we need 2 find the cure. My Betta has been in my tank 4 over a month now with these "Flakes" and he is still active and non-lethargic as ever. Anyway,about the tank ornaments,if it's plastic or silk it might have come from that,but that looks like fuzzyness on it.Okay.I am hopeless about this. Oh,well.If your Betta is acting strange and unhealthy THEN we worry. Let us just keep watch and see.

#8 ·
I don't think it is harmful but i just want to see if anyone might know what it is....I suspect its from the water conditioner....I always put more than recommended

#10 · (Edited)
I use TopFin tap water dechlorinator, I have never had a problem with white flakes in my water. I use 2 drops per gallon but sometimes up to 5 drops sneak in from time to time. Still never caused any flakes in the water though.

Recently I just started using Stress Zyme and Stress Coat, but I don't use the Stress Coat in every water change because it can gum up a Bettas gills if you use too much. I use it sparingly.

If you are using Stress coat you might want to reduce the amount you are using if you are getting strange build up in your tank.

I have come across a lot of entries in forums that discuss slime on the suction cups, but nothing said anything about it being fuzzy. Maybe I am misunderstanding the post. Slimey build up just on the suction cups shouldn't be a big problem. Pictures of the build up if it is fuzzy would be helpful in identifying if it is a problem, or harmless. BTW- Welcome to the forum LebronTheBetta. :)

Edited to add: The pictures were not posted when I wrote my post at first. To me the stuff on your suction cups looks like normal buildup from what I can see. It doesn't look fuzzy like mold would but maybe I just can't see in the pictures. Wait for a few more people to comment to be 100% sure.

#11 ·
I use TopFin tap water dechlorinator, I have never had a problem with white flakes in my water. I use 2 drops per gallon but sometimes up to 5 drops sneak in from time to time. Still never caused any flakes in the water though.

Recently I just started using Stress Zyme and Stress Coat, but I don't use the Stress Coat in every water change because it can gum up a Bettas gills if you use too much. I use it sparingly.

If you are using Stress coat you might want to reduce the amount you are using if you are getting strange build up in your tank.

I have come across a lot of entries in forums that discuss slime on the suction cups, but nothing said anything about it being fuzzy. Maybe I am misunderstanding the post. Slimey build up just on the suction cups shouldn't be a big problem. Pictures of the build up if it is fuzzy would be helpful in identifying if it is a problem, or harmless. BTW- Welcome to the forum LebronTheBetta. :)
It's not fuzzy, see above /: so is it bad to use stress coat for every water change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.