Betta Fish Forum banner

Thoughts on ADFs?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  VeilTail 
#1 ·
Hey guys! :)

I just moved my VT, Clifford, into a 5 gallon last week and I'm thinking about finding some friends for him. He doesn't seem especially aggressive- he flares at his reflection and his new filter from time-to-time, but otherwise seems pretty laid back.

I'm pretty set on getting ADFs for the tank. My only question is how many is adequate for this size tank? I wouldn't imagine more than two. I've heard that it's better to get two rather than just one.

Also, I've been doing some reading up on betta compatibility with ADFs and everyone seems to have different opinions, so I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences as well!

#3 ·
I've kept a VT with two african dwarf frogs before, depending on your fish's personality (which sounds pretty good) it definitely could work. :) Go for it! When I had adfs with my betta, I was a fishkeeping noob and I kept all of them in a 3 gallon (looking back at this that tank was definitely overstocked). I hope it works out! :DD

#4 ·
A 10 gallon is the minimum for two-- I'm not sure if you could get away with one in a 5 gallon, territorial issues, not enough space, etc.

If you do get one, heavily plant/cave your tank to avoid territory issues, but then again, depends on your fish's personality like Keeper said.

#6 ·
One ADF with a Betta in a 5 gallon is actually okay to do. I've had an ADF with my Betta in a 5G and there's been no issues and they're both very happy. Like another poster said, it's definitely a plus to have lots caves and plants. It's just a matter on keeping up with water changes.

#7 ·
As Sprinkles said, you can keep one ADF in a 5 gallon but not two. I have Bilbo who has lived with two betta now and I can say this...you have to have a special kind of betta to get along with an adf. My old betta Aquarius got along just perfect with Bilbo, my new one Copernicus always nips at him and has driven Bilbo into hiding 24/7 where as he use to swim around more and float in the plants at the top. Eventually my plans for a 10 gallon ADF tank are underway and Bilbo will be living with others of his kind without other fish to bother them.

#8 ·
2.5 gallons per ADF just like 2.5 gallons is minimum for 1 betta. 2 ADF's is better than 1 though just because they are social creatures and like friends.

If you are dead set on getting 2 and cant/wont upgrade, you're going to want really good filtration and keep up on your water changes as your tank will be over stocked.

#10 ·
I have one ADF and my new VeilTail male in a ten gallon together and they are best friends. But the ADF is a wee bit smaller than Flame the fish, so that might have something to do with it.

#11 ·
Just sharing my recent experience with you before you commit to ADFs. I already had a pair in small cube tank. I put them in with my male Betta in his 10 gallon tank. They all seemed to get along for a couple of days, then I noticed Azure's fins looking ragged, and him being withdrawn. This morning, I saw one of the frogs grab his fins and shake him like a ragdoll. No more frogs in the tank for me. Azure's too important. All frogs may not be this way, but mine were, and I won't risk tankmates again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.