Betta Fish Forum banner

Hmpk form critique

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  snowflake311 
#1 · (Edited)
Like the title says... Please critique the form of these hmpk. The blue boy has spikes at the end of his anal, and the red has split ventrals and a mediocre topline. I would like a more trained eye to look at them, though. If you can not critique them then general opinions on who you prefer are also valued... but please explain why. Please be honest (this will help me in a decision) and call out the flaws that you see, but not bashing... Thanks!

Red boy
View attachment 141242

#4 ·
red marble
Round uneven tail
Dorsal too high
Spoon head
First dorsal ray to short
split ventrals
Colour doesnt look "clean"

Blue boy
Nicer caudal
nicer dorsal
looks like hes got split ventrals
Anal doesnt come to a point
Stronger body

Personally Id stay far from red male and go to blue guy instead

#7 ·
+1 trilobite. If we are just talking about form, I agree; the blue boy. His colors are also really cool!

#8 ·
Hypothetical sitiation here:

How would you idealy get rid of the blue in the body and strengthen the blue in the fins. lets say your going for a bicolor

Hopefully in a decade I can breed myself. might as well figure everything out genetic wise. and have experiance

#10 ·
Is that because the "marbling" gene that causes the "randomization" of the color of the scales would be carried on in the offspring and always appear but in random ways?

I mean to me its seems like those would be perfect to use. not many differations in colors. like how some bettas could have a red splash, and to get rid of it u breed with yellow. but then geesh doesn't that effect the other colors? just always seems to be something to always fix not just a perfect end result.

#11 ·
Once marble is in its hard to get out. Especially if you want to work with solid colours.
Cull hard and select breeders carefully is the best way to get good coloured fish.
Select fish with less red wash,or use red loss gene and work out the clear wash. Easiest way is to start with 2 good fish

#12 ·
Is marbling attained randomly? or is there a stategy that works everytime?

Also dragonscale is from a cross of metallic right? (might be the opposite)

How soon do either traits breed out? or can they carry on for awhile?

#13 ·
If you want a solid (marble free) line, never introduce marble. You will have a very hard time getti rid of it. It's not obtained randomly, its like any other color pattern, you need to introduce the genetics to get it. Dragonscale is related to metallic but they are two very different things.

#14 ·
I would breed with the blue male. To save myself time, I will reiterate what Trilobite said (especially since he said what I was going to anyways). Just get a super girl and you have yourself a winning combo! :)

#18 ·
Naw...I've just played way too many mmorpgs...I'm usually under the assumption that everyone is a guy unless they tell me otherwise. Finding a girl who plays mmorpgs is a rarity...but its always a beautiful thing when you do. xD

#23 ·
The blue one it's a better fish for all the reasons said before and I like blue fish. I can't get down with the koi I don't like them but that's just me.

The blues dorsal fin is great nice a wide not too tall I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.