Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feeling guilty...

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Bettanewbie60 
#1 ·
One of my dogs, Casey, we adopted last year from our local shelter. She had been terribly abused, neglected and starved. We have tried socializing her with other dogs, and people, but she just wants nothing to do with them. She lives here with my husband, myself, and our other rescue Cody, who she gets along with great. Today I had to take her to the vet for her rabies update, and it was just awful...growling at people, scared, and had to be muzzled for her shot. I feel like it's my fault, like I didn't try hard enough in the past year to get her used to other people and dogs. Her world basically consists of our fenced yard, and us. I'm glad that we got her out of the shelter alive, and that she has love, food, care, and a great friend in Cody...but I still feel like I've not done enough. I don't think she will ever be trusting of others. I just feel guilty that this "small" world we've given her is just not enough. SIGH:cry:

#3 ·
One of my rescued dogs was abused too. He came to us starved, teeth broken, and extremely nervous around males. We've had him for over 9 years now, and he's completely healthy and happy. However, he's always been known to escape and run away from home. Even though we rescued him and he's happy here, running away is just something from his past that we won't be able to change. We just keep him safe by making sure he's always on a leash when he's outside.
The lack of trust with people is probably just an affect of your dog's previous life, unfortunately, and may never go away. But what really counts is that he trusts and appreciates you and his loving family. I don't think you've done anything wrong; I think you've done everything right by giving him a better life and earning his trust.

#4 ·
Thanks so much Jeremy..I guess I just feel if I had spent more time trying to socialize her etc. she would be better with people now, but both she and Cody are horrible on leash and pull me something awful. I have a neck injury from an accident, so I can't let that happen. We take both her and Cody to the beach with us sometimes, but it is a real pain between the pulling and the aggression when she sees another dog. She loves to swim in the ocean though...We just adopted another dog from the shelter, and he is doing great on leash training thank goodness. I just wish that hubby was home more, and more willing to help with their training...I feel like I've failed Casey and Cody. I can take Cody out alone, but not Casey. I only take them riding in the car with me to get them out. :-(

#8 ·
Thanks...I won't ever give up on her...and all of my training is positive reinforcement...speaking of which, I hear one of them calling me..it's potty time! They are all kennel trained, and sleep in them. I best go let them out!

#11 ·
These are my three dogs...Cody is the little black guy, Casey is the yellow terrier, and Leo is the huge one we just rescued last Friday! He has made it into the "pack", the first day of course was the toughest, especially for Casey, but she is okay with him now. All three are still adjusting of course, who's bed, who's toys, who's time for attention from "super alpha" (me), but I am really pleased with the progress we have all made in such a short amount of time!
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#14 ·
Bettanewbie, Don't feel guilty, you've done a good thing to give him a loving home. We have a Chessie/Lab mix who has always had trouble meeting new people. Fortunately he has fewer issues with dogs. We were in the same situation and found that we avoided inviting people over because we didn't know how he would react. (Probably the wrong approach.) He was usually pretty good with people who showed absolutly no fear, but the least bit of heasitation could bring out the worst. So I sympathize completely, and commend your for rescuing your guy from a much worse fate.

If Casey is like our Chester he's the sweetest cuddliest thing one could imagine with the people he trusts. Just know that you've done a very good thing, even if Casey never completely socializes with people.

#16 ·
Thanks Ghost...She is really a sweet and loving dog. She is just so fearful, and I can't say as I blame her. Yeah, she reacts the same way if someone acts afraid of her. I usually give them treats and tell them to greet Cody first, and use the high, happy voice, and call them by name, then give them each a treat. Casey definitely does better with confident people...I love her. I know too that with her "problems" a lot of others might have returned her to the shelter, and she wouldn't even have a life now. I just always think I could do more, for her.

#23 ·
The sled's a great idea. I've thought about it more than once. I'm amazed at how expensive pet supplies are. You wouldn't think that a bit of nylon straping and a few metal rings would cost so much. However, if it works, and it did for us, it saves a whole lot of headache, which I suppose makes the investment worth it.

#29 ·
We just added a third rescue last Friday, and Casey is doing great with him! She had issues the first day of course, but now they play the most together. My other rescue Cody, who is Alpha male, hasn't accepted Leo as easily. He is not aggressive toward him, just more like, "Really, did we need him"?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.