Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #151 
Fenghuang

Our flight to New York was delayed about an hour and half so we pulled into our driveway a little after 1 am last night. It sure feels good to be back on dry land, even though the family trip was nice. Here's a snapshot of our view sailing away from Key West.

I went snorkeling for the first time in an underground limestone cavern. The water was really clear and there were huge schools of what looked like wild tetras and guppies swimming around. Really cool experience. I also went to a coral reef and swam with green sea turtles. Shame I didn't have a waterproof camera.

Despite all my paranoia, no one died. Ari practically tackled me as soon as I got my foot in the door. Grandparents said he was restless after I left and kept searching the house and meowing for me. And they say cats aren't affectionate... Clarence marbled while I was away. He now has a single blue spot on one side of his body and blue grizzling on his tail. He looked positively livid that I left him for five days. He refused his food last night and just kept flaring at me. He ate happily this morning though.

Only bad news is my brother's DeT squeezed over onto the unnamed HMPK's side. The divider got knocked loose somehow (my bet is on the cat being the culprit) and the HMPK beat the snot out of the DeT. Why do bettas always pick fights that they will lose? The HMPK tore off his entire caudal and two-thirds of his anal fin. On top of that, he had fin rot when my brother got him and his dorsal and ventral fins never grew back, so he looks really sad now. I feel very sorry for the poor fish.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #152 
hrutan

Awww, poor fish! Haha, they do seem to pick fights they lose, don't they?
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #153 
Fenghuang

Thanks. And yes, they do. Every single time I had this happen, it was the younger/smaller/mellower fish that invaded the other one's space.

Poor fish. At least he is swimming and eating fine.

Not so poor fish. That notch in his anal is the only visible damage I can see. Although, when I discovered the two together, he was cowering beneath the in-tank filter like he was the one fearing for his life.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 08-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #154 
hrutan

HOLY COW. That's worse than Buttercup! That poor baby is going to need some serious TLC!
Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #155 
Fenghuang

Surprisingly, my brother's boy appeared less stressed than the HMPK. The DeT was hovering up by the surface and swam right into my hand so I could scoop him back and then he started gobbling up his dinner right away. Very resilient fish. Survived a whole slew of different illnesses since we picked him last winter break from Petsmart.

What happened to Buttercup?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #156 
hrutan

He jumped the divider into Mr. Kitty's side of the tank, got torn up, then somehow managed to get stuck between the divider and the tank wall in his attempt to escape. Mr. Kitty ate half his tail and dorsal. Mr. Kitty also didn't have a mark on him and was "strutting his stuff" for the rest of the day.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #157 
Fenghuang

Poor Buttercup. I hope he is doing much better now.

I wonder why they can leap over the divider, but never think to leap back over...
Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #158 
hrutan

He's regrowing. He looked worse before he looked better, though.

Well, panic makes it hard to think, haha.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #159 
Fenghuang

I am shipping my two New Jersey fish tomorrow. As always—nervous, nervous, nervous!

Clarence has picked up tailbiting since my trip. I keep coming back to my room to find that he has stripped his caudal a little more. Very frustrating. He is probably bored. When he gets settled again, I'll give him a more spacious planted tank with a school of guppies to flare at and shows off for. He'd like that, I think. I need to scrimage up some funds for that though.

At least Clarence looks super proud of himself. He build a bubblenest under one of the anubias's leaves. Now whenever I approach, he flares at me.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 08-19-2014 at 09:40 PM.