Betta Fish Forum banner

Worth Breeding?

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I was wondering if my HM boy was worth breeding. He has some fin damage due to fin rot a few months back but it is healing now.

#4 ·
I would say he is breeding worthy but his branching is a bit excessive. Love his color. If you breed him to a marble then he will most likely produce some red marbles being that red is dominant. That and I'm assuming the marble female you are using is one of CJ's so they carry red and you might get a whole bundle of surprises.

#8 ·
Yes, as long as she isn't overly small - if too small the male may not view her as breedable.. and if the female is too young she may not become eggy. But a few centimeters difference should be fine.

#11 ·
More than likely. Just make sure you know what you're getting into by breeding. Up to 200 fry that need lots of care...but hey, at least you have this site if you need anything.

#19 ·
We have al ready critiqued banana on another thread. It's completely up to you. We can't decide for you, it depends on what you want in fry. I have to say that I highly doubt he had fin rot. CJ keeps his fish in remarkably clean conditions and when I went, all were 100% healthy.

#20 ·
That's what I find hard to believe. Well like you said about the critique on banana, if what you said turns out to be true then a spawn with him would turn out to be a complete waste of time. I think I will make an attemp at breeding her to the red male. Would it be ok if used my 20 as my breeding tank opposed to my 10. That way I don't need to transfer fry till later? I'm going to try and get my breeding tank setup. And leave the male in it for a week and condition him in there.

Or do I need to condition now? I've only been feeding pellets the last month I've had them but the female is pretty plump right now, or should I start to condition this week with my blood worms?

#21 ·
You could always do two spawns! I didn't say bananas spawn would be a complete waste of time, I just think you have to be careful. A good, well formed sister should be fine to breed to him. A 20 should be fine. I don't think you should condition the male in the breeding tank. Conditioning time really depends on your fish.

#22 ·
Ok. What I was thinking was breeding the girl to my red male and then breeding one of the fry back to banana. Is this a good plan? So would you recommend condition them now with the blood worms. Or since I've had them for a while and been feeding the regularly with pellets and the female is really thick with eggs them I don't need to condition any further and get the male introduce into the spawning tank and intro the female in a breeding trap tomorrow?

#23 ·
I would still condition for a week. Pellets are good regular food, but conditioning is more then getting the female eggy. In the wild during springtime (when they spawn) there are large amounts of insects available and so feeding them lots of different frozen or live foods triggers that instinct.

That sounds like a good plan. You could always breed banana to that red girl and cull the eggs down to 20 or something if you are nervous but still want to see what they will produce.

#24 ·
Ok. I will hopefully be able to get the breeding tank setup today at least. And then I will start feeding blood worms tonight.

So what I wa going to do was put the male in then breeding tank and condition him, and then when ready do a large water change to clean up any debris and rearrange the tank. Would it be better to have him conditioned in a seperate tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.