Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 
TankDiveGirl

Gah! He Ate His Tail!

So I was gone for almost 5 days and my Green Illig Line HM Male ATE HALF OF HIS TAIL! Augh!

My pet sitter didn't turn the aquarium lights off, so i'm pretty sure that's what did it.

Other than salt and IAL (which are both in the tank), what's the best thing to do? He's quite active, swimming around, eating, being his normal self, other than half of his tail is missing and clearly bitten off (no ragged edges, no black or grey, no color loss, it's just GONE).

*tears hair out*
At least he's not a show fish -- I was getting ready to set up a spawn between him and my green HM Female from Liz in Hawaii... Now I'm going to wait to see if he continues to bite or not.

These darn fish!
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Just keep doing what you're doing. My boys have had fin damage for various reasons & I just keep up with my normal weekly water changes & their fins grow back just fine. As I'm sure you are doing just keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't get worse or turn into something more serious.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #3 
cheylillymama

I may be mistaken, but I have heard that stress coat with aloe can help fins heal quicker.
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylillymama View Post
I may be mistaken, but I have heard that stress coat with aloe can help fins heal quicker.
I've been told that stress coat and a high protein diet can help the fins grow back faster.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 
Viva

My HMDT did this when I put him in his hospital tank for finrot...little did I know he would hate his new surroundings and he tore both his tail and dorsal fin OFF. One day I came home and a huge 1.5 inch shred of fin was hanging out of his mouth...thats how I know he bit it off himself and that it wasn't the fin rot working so fast. I had to yank it four times before it finally came out of his mouth...it was like yanking a hook out of a fish's throat when they swallow it when you're fishing :( His fins are growing back rapidly in his planted 10 gallon. I just keep the water at a steady 80F and keep it nice and clean.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Feeling your pain my Zeus bit a good bit of his tail off. I think he decided it was a nuisance. He zips around the tank much faster now where before he was more like a gentle breeze. I just upgraded his tank to a 5 gallon he really seems to approve. I hope it helps him leave his tail alone.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote